Getting narced the same as being stoned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont know about being stoned
i've always had a pretty good tolerence to nacosis
but for me it has always been kind of a brain lag thing, where you sit there for a second and try to figure out what you are supposed to be doing or how to work something (your diving real is suddenly very complicated, lol)

D1V3R:
I dont know about being stoned
i've always had a pretty good tolerence to nacosis
but for me it has always been kind of a brain lag thing, where you sit there for a second and try to figure out what you are supposed to be doing or how to work something (your diving real is suddenly very complicated, lol)

That is being Narced.

It's not a tolerence, as Walter was saying... It something that happens to everyone at deep depths (on air and/or nitrox) - this is why people dive on trimix on deep dives.

Walter:
Ber, sleep deprivation has some similar symptoms. When you combine the two, it's not pretty. Well, you're still pretty, but your situation isn't.

I'm all too familiar with sleep deprivation and diving and I'm glad I'm on day shift now with weekends off :D We're doing the deep dive tomorrow for the advanced class and I'm skipping the camping tonight so I can sleep in my own bed and be well rested. I've also told the students "We'll plan this dive and dive the plan and if you see me wandering off you need to come get me cause I'm narced." They think its funny but I know they'll be there to keep an eye on me if I need it.
Ber :lilbunny:

fairybasslet:
Well, how do you know that? I've been to various depths from 150 fsw on up and don't remember feeling any differently than I do on land. Hmm. Maybe that's the problem.

Because studies have shown that everyone is impaired in as little as 30 feet. You may drink alcohol and not feel the effects, but you are impaired from the first drink. I rarely am aware of the effects of narcosis while on a dive, but I'm always aware that even though I cannot feel it, I am impaired at depth.

That's pretty awesome, Ber. I'll bet the level of respect for you from those students just went through the roof. The deeper (no pun intended) lesson that you've successfully driven home to them, is that no one is immune from nitrogen narcosis and its effects. By being familiar with it, we can check ourselves and be aware of it, but it can creep up on anyone, and sometimes, at a surprisingly shallow depth, depending on other factors.

fairybasslet:
Well, how do you know that? I've been to various depths from 150 fsw on up and don't remember feeling any differently than I do on land. Hmm. Maybe that's the problem.

emotionally you probably don't feel too much different (unless you get a paranoid/dark/cold narc hit) and in terms of co-ordination you don't feel too much different. if your experience of not being sober is mostly with alcohol you may be conditioned to look for the wrong cues in terms of co-ordination and emotional changes which aren't going to be the first things to go with narcosis. the first thing that narcosis affects is short term memory. that means that it'll take you longer to think through problems, you'll forget depth/time/gas numbers right after you looked at them, and you may fail to set down long term memory so that you forget portions of the dive. if you've been to 150 fsw you have experienced this, you just aren't paying attention.

I normally have to go down below 150 and about 155 to 160 I feel it coming on, although sometimes I have not had it come on until 170 or 180. It used to be called martinies law, and that came from the feeling you get when you have a drink. I have never felt like I was drunk, but more like Ber Rabbit said. It's like waking up from a sound sleep but all you have to do is acsend to the depth that the feeling came on and it will leave as fast as it came on. At least that is how it affects me. Everybodies body is affected it different ways, just be expecting it and keep your witts about you.

lamont:
emotionally you probably don't feel too much different (unless you get a paranoid/dark/cold narc hit) and in terms of co-ordination you don't feel too much different. if your experience of not being sober is mostly with alcohol you may be conditioned to look for the wrong cues in terms of co-ordination and emotional changes which aren't going to be the first things to go with narcosis. the first thing that narcosis affects is short term memory. that means that it'll take you longer to think through problems, you'll forget depth/time/gas numbers right after you looked at them, and you may fail to set down long term memory so that you forget portions of the dive. if you've been to 150 fsw you have experienced this, you just aren't paying attention.
Well, went I went to 150, it was before I was certified and didn't know what I was doing anyway. I was just following some spearfishermen. Yeah I know. Stupid stupid stupid but I was young so that's my excuse. And it was many years ago so I really don't remember how I felt. All I remember is feeling really thrilled to be diving in this gorgeous Caribbean waters and seeing such cool fish.
Anyway, what you said about short term memory and stuff, well, yeah, that happens to me on land. I'll walk into a room and forget what I walked in there for. So like my AOW instructor said to me "You're permanently narc'd."

Lake Mead Tony:
I normally have to go down below 150 and about 155 to 160 I feel it coming on, although sometimes I have not had it come on until 170 or 180. It used to be called martinies law, and that came from the feeling you get when you have a drink. I have never felt like I was drunk, but more like Ber Rabbit said. It's like waking up from a sound sleep but all you have to do is desend to the depth that the feeling came on and it will leave as fast as it came on. At least that is how it affects me. Everybodies body is affected it different ways, just be expecting it and keep your witts about you.

I think you mean ascend? How deep were you when typing this? :wink: :D

Fish_Whisperer:
Now that I think about it, (thanks to Ber's post), I usually know I've been narced often only after the fact. I'll reflect on the dive, and find that there are "holes" in my memory. I have an excellent memory, so when I'm going over a deeper dive and writing out comments in my logbook and I get stuck trying to remember something that took place, that's usually my first clue.

I have that all the time. It's called CRS. :D

Back
Top Bottom