getting into a WET wet suit... aarrrgh!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try it with a pr of thin skins on AND (I've heard --never tried) some putting plastic thin bags on their feet( ?the Walmart kind??)...

Hair conditioner works nicely as a lubricant if your wetsuit shrinks. For me that happens between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

If a 3mm suit is a challenge the the fit is either way too small or the technique needs some work.

Start by having the legs inside out except for maybe 10 inches at the bottom of the leg and slip your feet into the legs. Get the ankles where they need to be and roll the suit up to the knees. Make sure the knees are dead on and adjust before moving higher. The you can roll up to the crotch and flip it over your buttocks.

Arms can either be done inside out like the legs or you can just "punch" into them. Wet or dry it's pretty easy but be sure to be in all the way. If you or the suit are damp/sweaty then it can get sticky. Lathering up with a little suit snot(1/2 cheap hair conditioner, 1/2 water in a pump sprayer bottle) on the arms and shoulders will get the arms in easy and let the suit settle into place. Be sure it's up on the shoulders comfortably before zipping the back.

You should never find your self tugging, stretching or jumping. If you can't carry on a casual conversation you're making it too hard.

More on the topic.....

Pete

KISS (Keep It Simple *tupid)...go buy a pair of dive socks (Henderson makes some nice REAL dive socks), your feet will slide in VERY easily, especially if you're smart enough to buy a wetsuit with BOTH arm AND ankle zippers (Waterproof makes a nice 3mm wetsuit with those features). Gotta love all the other high-maintainance suggestions....garbage bags....pantyhose...elephant snot....whatever!

Herbdb: thanks for the suggestion! no-tear shampoo is always at hand since we use it to de-fog our masks... so i'll give it a shot in the wet suit! :)

@ tstorm diver: thanks! will try getting 'wet' before I attempt getting into my wet wetsuit!

@smokybraden: i love the fact that my wetsuit fits snugly. no awkward buoyancy due to air trapped inside the wetsuit! :) Also, like you mentioned, the insulation works best with a snug fit.

@krawlings: i agree with you :)

@knotial: thats a great idea! any brand that you would suggest?

@ayisha: gotta try that! thanks!

@vshearer: the problem, unfortunately, is not the hands or the feet... its the darn derriere!

@grumpyoldguy: yeah mine seems to have shrunk a little as well. i'll try the conditioner menthod...

@spectrum: thanks a ton! super link - the article was very informative. i agree with you that if the fit is right, i shouldn't need any external aids in donning my wetsuit. the problem lies in my body structure... certain parts are slightly disproportionately (to put it mildly) sized! i don't see myself investing in a custom made suit anytime soon, so suit snot here i come! :)

@scubafanatic: my wetsuit has both arm and ankle zippers, but that it not where my problem lies! :)

knotical: thats a great idea! any brand that you would suggest?
I use Henderson simply because that’s what our dive store carries. I have no evidence as to whether the other brands (such as Body Glove, Akona, O’Neill, Storm, Evo, IST, Pinnacle) are better or worse.

50/50 solution of creme rinse and water, sprayed directly onto the inside of the arms and legs of the wetsuit (not on the skin) worked very well for me with my 8/7. Just have to emphasize that we women have a HUGE disadvantage over men when we don our wetsuits. The suits are cut for our hourglass figures (picture that "Brick House" they sing about "36, 24, 36 - what a winning hand") - so we have to get our 36" arse through a 24" hole ... without tugging, stretching or jumping, and while carrying on a normal conversation?!?! I'M hyperventilating by the time I have my 8/7 on. Of course the suits have to be cut that way for maximum efficiency but why hasn't someone figured out a way to design the suit so that the zipper begins lower than the waist line? Is this a conspiracy? Is the wetsuit design industry a male dominated field? Just kidding ... a little ... :D

Back
Top Bottom