getting insurance as a diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you take up something after the fact, as long as you answered the questions truthfully you should be good. In all cases that I know about, there is a two year contestability clause on a new life policy. After that they are on the hook. Your best bet is to call a insurance broker and he should be able to find a couple of companies that do not rate or up-charge for it.

Charles

I just got a good lead on a major carrier that seems to be a little more realistic on the issue of diving. I'll post up when I have more specifics.

I'm interested in knowing how you made out with the life insurance. I just applied for life insurance, got a quote, had the physical. Everything was great health wise. My agent called later and said my premium would be double what was originally quoted due to my diving. (All within recreational limits,lots of training)

crlavoie:
I just got a good lead on a major carrier that seems to be a little more realistic on the issue of diving. I'll post up when I have more specifics.

I am an insurance agent. It depends on the Ins. Co. as far as diving goes, your health generally is the most important factor. Try getting a quote from a number of different companies ( Chase, Kemper, ect.), get at least 5. Tell them you scuba dive. If you are a recreational diver, generally you are safe from premium increases on quotes. There may be a difference in premium because of the State that you live in.
I'd be glad to give you a quote, but I my license is only for Mich.

I got my life insurance policy when I was in college. Since I was in great health and didn't ride motorcycles, sky dive, mountain climb, or anything else, I locked in a great rate with the option in the policy to be able to buy additional insurance at those rates at any point. I don't know if I'd want to find out what my rates might be today (but as I'm still in great shape, they might not be *too* bad).

I have an uncle who is currently serving two years of non-motorcycling, non-drag-boat-racing, non-bunch-of-other-stuff-ing so he could get a better rate on a large life insurance policy. Once he is paroled from the insurance wardens' grasp, I've *got* to get him to start diving (or, maybe, restart diving... don't know if he's a diver) -- if I can talk him into buying a portable nitrox system for one of his large boats (either the 85' motor yacht or the navy surplus supply ship being converted into a two-family houseboat), I'd gladly volunteer some manual labor in exchange for gas and a bunk. :wink:

scubafire:
Is it difficult and/or more costly to get life insurance as a certified diver?
It depends.
Isn't that a crummy answer? But, it's true...

Some companies will charge extra for recreational divers, some do not. Some have come to understand that diving is no longer as risky as it was in the 1950's, others are still stuck with their underwriting standards in the last century.

I always tell the insurance company. As others have posted, to not disclose is to invalidate the application. Lying on the application (about anything, from diving to the color of your eyes) can, unfortunately, render the policy un-enforceable. It's like lying on a job application, if you get caught, even if you are doing a great job, you can still get fired. When you signed the application, you signed a statement to the effect of "everything I said is true" under penalty of disqualification.

Now, in most previous insurance applications, if the answer was "Yes, I dive" it required one more form. The forms said that I dive, and included that I was certified by a recognized agency. This form then becomes a part of the application, which becomes a part of the policy. As such, it becomes a proof document and if (God forbid) the policy needs to be claimed, they cannot disqualify you on the basis of diving because the diving disclosure documentation is part of the policy.

The last time I applied for a policy, they asked, but the form was no longer required. Seemed that they decided that recreational diving was a fully acceptable activity, and not subject to additional documentation. That is particularly important since they also asked if I had received any motor vehicle violations within the last three years, and that would have required additional forms! So, in the insurance company's world, I figure they see recreational diving about the same as a speeding ticket.

A couple of asides:

• Some one asked about "what if I got my life insurance before I got my certification?
As some one posted, as long as you were not a diver, and were not in training for certification, you answered honestly and the application is valid. Remember, though, the wording is rarely "Do you dive (skydive, travel in the Middle East, etc.)," the question is usually more like "Do you now, or do you ever plan to, engage in these activities."
I would add one caveat, though. It is not really about what you did, and what were your intentions at the time. It is about what either side can convince the administrative judge if it comes to litigation...

• Some one also asked about what if they didn't tell the truth, and there was a claim?
It differs by the state regulations, but most states have a two year contestability limit (some are less than two years). So, even if you were a certified diver and lied about it, if you keep the policy in force for that period, after the two years (or less, as per the state regs.) it won't matter. If you got the policy in college, and are now a grandfather, it won't matter any more.

• Lastly, what if you dove, but for whatever reason no longer do?
Still, tell the insurer that you are certified, but no longer dive. They may just document it and move on. Worst case, they will document it as though you were a diver now. Either way, the application is still valid.
As far as higher premiums, the insurer can charge whatever the traffic will bear. There are certain institutional (other than economic pricing) incentives to rate you higher, and real business incentives to rate you cheaper (as in, competitive industry lowers prices). If they charge a higher premium for recreational diving, go some where else. PM me, and I can give you two companies that did not rate me higher based upon diving.

These days, there is no reason to pay higher for recreational diving. If you are a technical or decompression diver, expect to get static. If you are a commercial diver, that is another story. You will be rated based upon your occupation, be that commercial diver, race driver, or teacher.
:lightning
And, yes, I am knowledgeable about such things, having been a licensed broker in multiple states, and now teaching University courses at graduate and undergraduate levels in the subject.

Try USAA. You or a family member has to have served in the armed forces, but they stretch the family member requirement pretty thin. I'm not paying anything extra on my life insurance and it's a great all around company. They have auto and homeowner's and a bunch of other services too.

it is the same a anything else in life. tell the truth as best as you can and get several quotes form quality companies and you will find a product you can live with. but always tell the truth. it's not worth your time to lie to an insurance company. tom

Anything less than full disclosure allows the company to deny payment under the incontestable clause. Don't lie and you'll never have to worry about your heirs getting paid. Recreational divers shouldn't have any problems when dealing with knowledgable Reps that specialize in life insurance and, more importantly, high quality carriers. None of my clients have ever had a problem with diving and I have been a CLU, ChFC and Million Dollar Round Table member for over 30 years. Rock climbing?? Now That IS a different issue.

Back
Top Bottom