Getting close to eels.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love the picture!

On the opening the mouth for breathing, just thought I'd mention one thing. The gill opening on eels is tiny so they can crawl in and out, forward and backward through corals. The have to forcibly pump water through their gills, hence the vicious look.

With a little white mouth like the one pictured, you can get pretty darned close before it does the rapid snapping mentioned earlier. I don't usually pay attention to how close I am on these guys, I'm usually zoomed in a bit in macro and maybe 8-10 inches off by my guess.

I'll have to take you along and we'll get real close :D

i've gotten close a couple of times :wink:

Attachments

• moray povitch bt.JPG
    moray povitch bt.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 32
  • green moray.JPG
    green moray.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 35
lol...the trick is a big dome port, like a shield, and learn to tuck those digits.

works with sharks too, even if it's just in "your head". WA lenses help too.

What I love is when you are taking a picture of something else, like a nudi or a tree fern and then you notice a gargantuaus set of jaws right next to your knuckles, lol, love that. woooo

Eelforpost-1.jpg

Oooh. Cool pictures everyone. I was hoping this would happen eventually. keep the pics coming.

Leesa, looking forward to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom