Getting close to eels.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is sort of a hybrid Photography/Marine science question. The answer could come from both sides. This question may be misplaced. Here goes.

Moray eels. Big defensive display, raised up, sharp teeth, mouths open and all. Now, I'm not talking about blatant harrassment (disregarding the obvious approachment for a photo.) I'm just talking about a minute or two of observation and like I said, a photo opportunity.

You can crop, you can zoom, you can fin up close and hope hard.

How close can you get before defensive turns to offensive?

I felt like any closer than this would have been Submerged Russian Roulette.

P3310853copy-1.jpg

Morays are quite curious. I have them nose right up to my ports lots of times. I, and I'm sure others here, have had them swim between my legs, under me and over me with no problems.

I would wonder how the flash effects them if you are right on top.....

IMO, that animal is just breathing, has nothing to do with a defensive posture etc etc etc, otherwise this board would be have a sub-forum entitled 'Another Attack of the Moray Eel' & filled with (almost) daily accounts................I've got several pictures with that exact pose & also ones with my son petting one under it's 'chin'.....

Now saying that, if you try to befriend one, be prepared for some scars to even missing digits. These are wild animals & have no idea what's going on....Ask that same son of mine-- one day his 'friend' on Roatan(green eel that lived @ Half Moon Bay Wall), thought his finger was a dead fish...He lost a week of work/diving @ Inn of Last Resort, had to let the cuts heal........

diver 85:
IMO, that animal is just breathing, has nothing to do with a defensive posture etc etc etc, ,..

Agree that this is almost always just how the eel breathes... However some species are more defensive and nasty than others. In the Caribbean most species are docile - Spotted's are a little more aggressive than the others and can be quite bad natured.

There are some not so nice species in Hawaii that I want absolutely no part of. I have seen them chase divers around and be very aggressive. Apart from that most of the Asian species are pretty docile. Ribbon Eels can put on a show, but that is all it is.

In cold water, Wolf Eels are big puppy dogs mostly

Now if you ever see one of the big eels hunt and kill, you will understand that you would want nothing to do with an aggressive eel. They are lightning quick and totally deadly.

M

I used to keep two in an aquarium. A Gymnothorax kidako and an Echidna catenata. Both were about 1m long. I had them in a 300gal tank. They are great pets and can become quite tame. I had them for over five years before donating to a local aquarium. (They just got too big and started eating my other fish).

That pose in your picture is typical of breathing with no aggression. I have actually never seen an eel adopt a "threatening" pose. If threatened, they simply go after you with lightning speed and a bite usually ensues. And it's nasty too. Believe me, you just cannot outswim or outmaneuver these guys. You never know when you are too close either. That's the problem. The other problem is that their eyesight is not great. After five years, I still fed them from a stick.

I personally never get too close when diving with these guys. Not afraid - I just know what they can do to you.

Breathing. That makes sense. I always see them with their mouths agape, but seemingly more so when they notice someone is around.

There has to be SOME warning component to those jaws, though, right?

The mouth as seen above was closed until I approached and focused on the sea floor. Whether it heard or felt my breathing, saw me, or whatever, it's demeanor definitely
seemed to change as i came closer.

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
Breathing. That makes sense. I always see them with their mouths agape, but seemingly more so when they notice someone is around.

There has to be SOME warning component to those jaws, though, right?

The mouth as seen above was closed until I approached and focused on the sea floor. Whether it heard or felt my breathing, saw me, or whatever, it's demeanor definitely
seemed to change as i came closer.

Well a scuba diver is pretty big so you know the eel does want to keep an eye on you while you are around...

But others are right - if you ever have a chance to see a Moray hunt, they are lightning quick and those are teeth designed for biting and holding. There are also some Morays around Hawaii who are particularly foul tempered. There is no doubt that if a moray wanted to bite you, there would be very little you could do about it. It is furtunate that they are pretty docile unless you are in their food chain.

There is a very, very cool video of a large Green Moray hunting at night floating around www.scubadiving.com from 'Papa' I believe - it targets, moves, and then strikes and kills a parrotfish - scales everywhere.

M

There is a warning component there, they will start "snapping" their jaws when agitated. Sort of like when you are double jointed and apply enough pressure, the joint will snap. It is a lot more of a sudden movement. The rhythmic opening and closing is indeed breathing.

Marriard:
Now if you ever see one of the big eels hunt and kill, you will understand that you would want nothing to do with an aggressive eel. They are lightning quick and totally deadly.

M

Yup, I remember a memorable night dive in the Similans once. I forget which site it was but it seems that the barracudas and the morays just love night divers with their bright torches that light up a night time snack for them. You would be swiming along and when you turn your light to you side, you'd find a nice toothy 1+m barracuda swimming right along you! Same with the morays. They are quite agile when they're out hunting. Light up some poor sleeping reef fish and BAM! the moray strikes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom