Getting Back To Our Roots: 120 reef Marineland 6.19.12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Another month long dry spell paired with the incessant awesomeness of MaxBottomtime's dive reports has nearly driven me insane these last few weeks. My sanity finally returned today at Marineland's 120 reef. I scoped conditions yesterday and the 120 reef looked stunning. Garibaldi could easily be seen cruising the reefs from atop the cliff through the dark blue waters. Water movement was minimal and the cove entry had only small ankle breakers. This morning brought less then stellar conditions but it was still inviting enough to dive. The 120 reef doesn't usually host any unusual critters but the abundance of the normal cast of characters makes up for its lack of uniqueness. Every reef is covered in feather duster worms, tunicates, nudibranchs and sponges of every color. Garabaldi males guarding their nests are especially prevalent this time of year. In todays 15ft+ visibility, mulitple nests could be seen from almost any point on the reef. Charlie found a large octopus which was extremely playful and inquisitive. He slowly moved from underneath his den, out towards us and seemed to nonchalantly examine us. After a couple minutes he calmly swam underneath me and out of sight. A few minutes later we found another octopus but this individual was extremely shy and was not about to come out and play. Other marine life highlights included a large Copper rockfish, a grouping of San Diego dorids and a sea lion. My 2nd strobe finally kicked the bucket this dive so photography was a bit difficult with the moderate suspended particles prevalent in the water column. Charlie and I started our shore diving experiences at Marineland's 120 reef, it felt great to return to our roots. Here is what turned out:
GarabaldiGuardingNest.jpg

TinyOctoinCrevice.jpg

PaintedGreenling_1.jpg

CopperRockfishonReef.jpg

KelpRockfishSharpen.jpg

It was indeed an awesome 120 dive. I just got back from Maui on Sunday and I had to rinse myself of the warm water iniquities that I had grown so accustomed to in a such a short amount of time. It was 9 days of a blue dream, and my first time in warm water. I plan on posting a full report on my trip sometime this week.

The 120 reef held my attention for the entire length of the dive. It seemed every nook and cranny had something interesting in it. That is saying a lot after diving Maui where each dive revealed at least three different species of eel, unknown (to me) nudi's, multiple sea turtles and the occasional white tip reef shark!
Not only was it back to the original home reef and it's numbing 52 degree water, but it was also back to wet suit diving for me. My drysuit is out for a zipper repair. :cussing:

Turns out the farmer john did me right. I managed to survive the dive without the shivers, and hour and four minutes.

So my drysuit being out turned out to be a mixed blessing. As soon as I transitioned to my drysuit I also transitioned to backplate/wing, so I never had a logged dive with my farmer john / bp. Since I have
been diving dry, Frank and I have strayed away of the big hike/dives (CTC, Honeymoon ect...). I feel a Neptune's mission coming on:ar15:. That's right, step aside all you warm water weekend warriors and scooter junkies. Only steady legs and an iron will will do on the trail to Neptune's and all her glory.

Very cool! Now, if you swim toward the orange buoy...:)

I was eyeballing the buoy the day prior. I will have to do it soon, especially once I pick up a diopter for all those pin sized nudis :)

Charlie prepares for his Neptune Cove dive.

That's too funny:rofl3: I don't want to think what google searches you had to do to find that pic though:D

What type of diopter are you looking at? I have a G11 in a Canon housing and my next purchase is going to be a diopter, but I am not sure what type is best suited for my setup. I looked at BlueWater Photo and Backscatter, but I don't know enough about them to make a choice yet.

That's too funny:rofl3: I don't want to think what google searches you had to do to find that pic though:D
For all the single ladies reading this thread, Merry says that actually looks like Charlie!

For all the single ladies reading this thread, Merry says that actually looks like Charlie!

Merry, nice find and photo of the Homo Erectus Diventia! Haa! ...rare to see it in that condition! Couldn't resist!!:D

Be Safe Out There!

Back
Top Bottom