Getting back into diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slope

Reaction score
Hey everyboby, I am getting back into diving and looking for some advice for gear. My old gear was mostly made up of US Divers and I was wondering if they still made good gear. Since I never had a problem with mine for over 5 years. I would like to stay with them, but I would be willing to change if there is something better out there.
Thanks

USD is very good. The choice of U.S Marines and U.S. special forces. I have a couple of regs.

I would'nt expect our Canadian friends to know anything about that,...with bothof their planes and all!

There is nothing wrong with older gear if it meets your needs and is in good working order. Get it serviced and go diving. No doubt there may be newer, better gear but unless your diving demands a higher standard than the gear you have, dive it.

Krisscuba,

Why did you feel the need to make a totally ignorant comment about Canadians?

You could have just stated that its the chosen gear of X, Y and Z military forces. And as far as a military choosing gear don't they normally go with the lowest bidder (Local) that meets there standards?

The military like government does not always chose the BEST gear often there are political concerns.

Note:

Local in this case could mean country :)

Paul

I also got back into diving after 29 years. I had all U.S. Divers too. I shopped around after getting info from the boards. I bought a Aqualung Titan LX regulator. It worked great in Cozumel this past June. Good luck getting back into the water.

There hasn't been that much change in gear. Regulators and BC's still work the same way. My mask and fins are fine and if you think new computer designed fins will make that much difference, I've got a bridge to sell you.

If you can get parts and find someone to service your gear, keep it. I'd still be diving my DACOR 360 and Pacer XLE regulator if they made the parts. I'm irritated I had to buy a new reg. My old Seatec Manta jacket BC is still fine after fifteen years.

And guess what? The "new" stuff everyone raves about is almost retro. . .like BP/wings. What goes around comes around. If your stuff works have it gone over by a good tech and dive it. Spend the equipment money on a nice dive vacation.

My only advice would be to take your existing gear in to be serviced and ensure it's all in good working order. If you've been out of the water a long time and are a tables diver, think about adding a computer to your kit but otherwise as long as everything is in good working order I can see no reason to buy all new gear.

USD/Aqualung makes good diving gear. Those who slam it are of the "Chevy better than Ford" or vise-versa mentality.

I had Sherwood Oasis from 1989 until 2000 when I sold all my gear and stopped diving for a couple of years.

I just bought an Aqualung (USD) Legend LX after using one in Hawaii in June. Awesome piece of equipment, easy to service and can get parts anywhere you go in the world.

If I had not sold my Oasis, I would still be using it and have no need to change (other than the WANT of something new).

As to Canadians, having gorwn up in Montana, I knew quite a few. I did find however, that the further east they came from, the squirrelier they got.

Just a joke. Don't get all Bob & Doug McKenzie on me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom