Getting Air in Western MD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaman_06

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Guys,

I live in Oakland, MD near Deep Creek Lake and about 45 min from Morgantown, WV. There is no where locally to get my tanks filled. There was a store near Mt. Storm and at Deep Creek though it closed several years back and the guy that owns it no longer offers air fills.

So far I have been driving out to Washington, PA for air fills but an hour 45 minutes is a long haul for air. Any ideas of a place that might be closer for air?

I recently talked with a guy who runs a mobile scuba shop in a big trailer, and he says he dives Mt. Storm almost every Sunday starting sometime in May. He brings his shop along. You might want to check with him about getting air fills. http://www.scubaventure.com/

Next to that, the closest one to you that I know if is in Hagerstown - Blue Marble Divers - but that's probably farther than Washington, PA.

Mountain Dog

As with any air, wherever you get it, ask to see there clean air certification. Just a friendly reminder.
-Jay

Yeah Joe has his trailer up there most weekends but it is not right at the lake. He parks it at that little place where there used to be a kind of gift shop. You can't miss it. It is about 40 ft long. He is not allowed to park it down at the lake as WV DNR manages things now and they will not let him sell ANYTHING on the property. Probably because like any gov't agency if they don't get a cut it's illegal. Story I heard was he actually got fined for intent to sell when one of their Barney Fife's asked him what he would do if a diver had a headache. Joe said he'd sell him one of those individual aspirin packs. Citation coming up!

HA! Boy the WV DNR sure have some backwards priorties. Last weekend we were diving a fishermen were coming within 10 inches of our dive flag. Oddly enough the DNR boat on the lake didnt do anything even though they were only a few yards away.

Well,
Looks like I am going there Saturday to map, rain or shine....crap. Not that I don't like Storm, I just hate the entrance. Jim-put me down for $20 on the steps or entrance. I think the others I am with will pitch in, too. I'm going to try to get to Evelyn's Stained Glass at around 8:30. Off gas (I live in the flatlands), and go play. If you guys would like to meet up, PM me.
-Jay

I'll be down there this weekend but not getting there til around 2 or so. Have to work til 11 friday night. Coming down to do some skill dives for my intro to tech course with about 5 or 6 others. First time in my double lp85's. Should be real cool.

Jim,
Good luck, maybe we will see you there. This will be my first dive in Storm with my rig, been everywhere else with it- time to see altitude versus drysuit and double 120s.
-Jay

Make that 9:30

Hi Aquaman:

Wish i can help you out with obtaining air down where you live ,but going down to mt.storm all the time & traveling through your fair town, i can say only that i never came across a dive store between washington pa & mt.Storm w.va.

Although you might see if @ mt.storm the local fire dept might have a dive team that depends on having their own compressor.... just a thought.......

Also their is a guy from Winchester i think that comes up to storm with his shop on wheels...

Aquman, i might of met you one time on a saturday two month back talking with greg at Dive World in washington pa. At the time i think you were looking at a bc & other equipment.

If so its nice seeing your post. It;s hard to beat gregs air refills. Best of luck to you & hope to run into you sometime.

sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom