Getting a Maritime Mobile Service Identity in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As i'm paranoid about being left at sea, I ordered myself a lifeline nautilus. To enable one of the automated distress features, the device needs a Maritime Mobile Service Identity number. Supposedly, for Thailand the issuing body is the NTC. I called the NTC and as expected, they had no clue what I was talking about. Anyone operate a marine radio and have had to get an MMSI in Thailand?

Hi Watboy,

I am in the same situation and I'm wondering if you had any luck with getting an MMSI in Thaialnd.

Thanks,
Ben

It's my understanding that in Thailand MMSI numbers are only issued to ships and their required radios. So you should just register your Lifeline in North America or Europe if you can. If you need assistance, the device will transmit an SOS, and maritime law requires that any boat in the vicinity of an emergency transmission must render assistance whether they recognize the MMSI or not. If you've sent out an emergency call with a device that's not registered in the area where you're diving, you may have to pay a small fine, but who cares? Pay the fine and get rescued! I own two of these devices for local use, and I've registered mine through boatus.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom