Get Bright Sunlight Compact Florescent Bulbs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
and replace all of your screw in incandescent light bulbs...!! :idea:

I kept hearing that the Compact Florescent screw in light bulbs were a pricey but better replacement for incandescent, so I finally tried a few. I noticed that my local Wal-Mart had a large display of regular CFBs plus a few Sunlight CFBs that weren't selling as well as they were about $1 each even more expensive. I had a hunch that they might be worth the difference, tho - and tried a few of both.

With the bullish Sunlight bulbs in the big guest privy and yellowish regular CFBs in the living room, I quickly came to hate the cheaper CFBs! The Sunlight bulbs are so much cheerier! I then set out to replace virtually all of the bulbs in the house with the Sunlight CFBs, moving the initially purchased yellowish regular CFBs to closets, the garage, basement.

I kept trying to explain this in message chat with my lady dive buddy in Houston, and she - knowing how I tend to overdo things - politely kept going "yeah, yeah, Don." :wink: So I took her one this weekend, stuck it in one of her ceiling sockets, and she loved it - deciding again that I'm not always crazy. Today - we cleaned out 2 Supercenters of their Sunlight CFBs. They really do brighten up a house.

Her house had always seemed a little dark within, and as this story played out - it seems she was raised by an electrician father to economize on electricity by using small bulbs and turning lights off as she left a room, which she had continued to do even as she had previously been replacing incandescents with yellowish CFBs in an attempt at extended economy. We've replace small wattage incandescents and regular CFBs as well with brighter Sunlight CFBs - as bright as each room could stand. Much cheerier - especially for a lady staying home to recover from Leukemia, and now we're working getting her in the habit of leaving room lights on when she walks out so they'll already be on when she goes back - or even walks by. Burning only 15 to 20 actual watts each to give off the equivalent of 60 to 100 watt incandescents, it's a false economy to turn them off sometimes.
cool-smiley-010.gif

Don,

While in general, I love CF (compact fluorescent) lamps, there are a couple of caveats:

(1) They may not come on "instantly" in colder weather. So, if they're in your garage or outside workshop and it's January (even in Texas :D ), they may take a while coming on and getting bright.

(2) While they may have a 'rated' life of 50,000 hrs (or some such), the actual life depends much more on whether they're cycled on/off.

That said, I agree with you. I love daylight spectrum CF's!

I just saw some CFBs in a dollar store. I like paying $4+ for the sunlight bulbs, or that's the Wal-mart price. Home Depot is higher. :wink:

hdtran:
(1) They may not come on "instantly" in colder weather. So, if they're in your garage or outside workshop and it's January (even in Texas :D ), they may take a while coming on and getting bright.

Heh Heh, I think of that as being a positive aspect of CF bulbs when I am stumbling out of bed and turning on the lights at the beginning of the day. Especially when headed for the outhouse at 3 AM:11doh:. My eyes have a chance to adjust to the light after flipping on the light switch vs incandescent bulbs which are instantly and harshly bright; need my :14: on.

signed,
The Optimist

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom