Geruma trip & photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoff_H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well this forum has been a bit dead recently, hopefully it will pick up a little as we move in summer and the water gets warmer!

I had a brief trip down to Geruma a couple of weeks ago, leaving after work on the Wednesday, 3 days diving and returning on Sunday. Some brief info below

The island of Geruma is small, and very remote... no shops, no restaurants, no bars and probably 100 or so houses and a couple of dive shops. There is a small store on the island of Aka which is connected via a road bridge. Access is via a 2 hour fast ferry from Naha, which drops you on Aka.

We stayed with Omura-san, at Geruma Pension and I couldn't recommend him highly enough. Very nice guy, accomplished guide and excellent chef! The meals he conjured up were simple, but expertly blended and mostly grown locally - we had potatoes from his daughters school garden, tomatoes from his neighbour, sliced crunchy daikon from his garden and several locally caught fish. Our dinner on the first night was mouthwatering tasty and consisted 7 individual dishes

local bonito sashimi and freshly ground wasabi and garlic
grilled mahi mahi
sliced daikon and sesame sauce
Okinawan slow boiled pork
homemade fried tofu
spicy seaweed soup
steamed local white rice

Omura-san has thousands of dives on Geruma, knows it like the back of his hand and has even starred in NHK TV shows about the island. His blog is here

¥±¥é¥Þ¡¦¥Þ¥ê¥ó¥µ¡¼¥Ó¥¹ ¥²¥ë¥Þ¤Î¥À¥¤¥Ó¥ó¥°¾ðÊó ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

The diving is very relaxed, lots of white sand, amazing visbility and very little if any current. There is a good selection of hard corals - some of which are sucuumbing to a disease - and a few soft corals in some dive spots. The normal selection of reef fish abound as well as turtles, octopi etc. We saw two male cuttlefish fighting over a female, as well as a group of eight cuttlefish which I've never seen before.

The diving is not spectacular but it's warm, easy and wonderfully relaxing.

It's also nudibranch heaven if they are your thing :)

nudibranch-1.jpg

nudibranch2.jpg

nudibranch3.jpg

Pygmy seahorse - just the creature to make me wish I had a macro lens

pygmyseahorse.jpg

One of the cuttlefish in the group of 8

cuttlefish.jpg

Turtle
yayoiturtle.jpg

Yours truly finally getting an avatar shot

geoff3.jpg

The olibigatory clownfish

nemo.jpg

We fell in love with the owner's dog and he liked the beach but not the sea! He was scared of the waves (as you can see it's a rough old day in the bay) but did jump in to try and "save" us when we were snorkelling!

beach.jpg

blue.jpg

Some good shots there. On the back side of Aka and off some of the atolls there are some great high speed drifts you have to try. Big critters and just awesome dives. Although any day diving the Keramas is always good.

What site did you get the pygmy seahorse at? We normally get them off Kuef but most of the kerama boats don't go there.

Three days in south islands? nice.... I just came back from 3 days in izu (Tago) and nothing nearly as nice as what you saw.... but I did see tons of nudis and 5 sharks, (3 nurse sharks, dog shark, angel shark)

thanks for the nice pics Geoff... very nice.

What site did you get the pygmy seahorse at? We normally get them off Kuef but most of the kerama boats don't go there.

In my log book, I have it down as Gahi Mae... the pink gorgornian was in the middle of a sandy desert (see my "DIR pose" photo)..... before the dive Okuma san mentioned it was the pygmy seahorses and that's it for that divesite - so this maybe why many boats don't go there?

Seems to be just off the top of Aka Island.

map.jpg

I know the site but haven't dove it in years- went looking for pygmy the other day off of Kuef the current was riping, drifted over a nautical mile in 22 minutes- no seahorses but a huge manta riding the current.

I know the site but haven't dove it in years- went looking for pygmy the other day off of Kuef the current was riping, drifted over a nautical mile in 22 minutes- no seahorses but a huge manta riding the current.

I dived for three days, and didn't see so much of a whiff of current.. it was like diving in a millpond!

Damn - will have to come back and have a go on the drift dives... maybe another long weekend in the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom