George Purifoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the best parts of an outstanding dive trip with them last year was getting to the boat way before everyone else and just having a chance to visit, listen and learn. Great operation and nice guy. Thanks George, for making diving better for a lot of folks.

I've been upset all morning over hearing news of his passing.

I had called the shop to schedule some diving next week and got the news.

I read about george in magazines and articles about the U-352 long before I did my first week of diving with Olympus 14-17 July This year.

Needless to say as a diver I looked up to Him.

In person words cannot describe the mans charm personality and character.

I took some footage of George 15 July 2008 while doing my first dive on the U-352.

while I was going down the line he was on his way up.

Old school dive mask - Crowbar and goody Bag in his hand. I thought to myself.

I have to get this on tape because I am diving with a Legend.

My heart Goes out to Bobby and his family.

Captain Purifoy you will be deeply missed.

Chief Brian Hilt HMC (FMF) US Navy Active

I was said to hear about his. Probably really hit until my next trip on the Olympus when someone is sitting in the captains chair.

Wow...sincerest condolences to Bobby, and the entire Olympus family. We were just remarking yesterday that George, Bobby and Olympus were really the "gold standard" when it came to dive operations, only to hear this sad news today. Our thoughts and prayers go out for those left behind.

I've been upset all morning over hearing news of his passing.

I had called the shop to schedule some diving next week and got the news.

I read about george in magazines and articles about the U-352 long before I did my first week of diving with Olympus 14-17 July This year.

Needless to say as a diver I looked up to Him.

In person words cannot describe the mans charm personality and character.

I took some footage of George 15 July 2008 while doing my first dive on the U-352.

while I was going down the line he was on his way up.

Old school dive mask - Crowbar and goody Bag in his hand. I thought to myself.

I have to get this on tape because I am diving with a Legend.

My heart Goes out to Bobby and his family.

Captain Purifoy you will be deeply missed.

Chief Brian Hilt HMC (FMF) US Navy Active

I never felt like a "customer" on George's boat (or Bobby's either), always like somebody who was a guest for the day.

He will be missed.

A sad day indeed. He is a legend. Always a smile and willing to talk. My heart and prayers go out to the Olympus family. Bobby not only lost his father but a close friend.
George will be dearly missed. The only silver lining in Georges passing is that he died doing something he loved so much, helping other people.
Rest In Peace George.

My first wreck dive in the ocean was off of George's boat just last year... my most recent dive was off of George's boat just two weeks ago. His passion for it is one of the reasons I've been hooked ever since.

When that man splashed with his crowbar... it was magical.

George was always great to us (Atlantic Beach Diving). When we were going to the same wreck, he'd offer us first choice on where to hook, give us dive reports, and just general support. He boosted our confidence when we needed it, and gave advice when asked. Anyone who dives the coast is indebted to George for either locating or identifying the wrecks. Our deepest condolences to his family, crew, and friends.
-J

Back
Top Bottom