George Purifoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JayJudge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I got a call last night from a captain, stating George Purifoy had passed away. From what I was told, he was operating the Olympus when it happened. I have no details more than that, and I waited for it to be confirmed on NCdivers. I am sure thousands of you have dove with George, the wreck diving community has lost one of the great hunters. Some of us have lost a friend, mentor, idol, you name it. We will miss him dearly, our condolences go out to his family.
-J

I'm sorry to hear this. I knew George and his son Bobby, and have dove with his operation many times. My condolences to the Purifoys.

NCDivers.com • View topic - Tragedy in Morehead today.

Olympus is one of the best dive operations I've been with.

One rare event in 2007 was a whale shark came to us at the Papoose, or Hutton, diving off the Midnight Express. I reported it to the UNC Shark authority Dr. Frank Schwartz; its one of 5 or 6 seen in the last 100 years. I am the diver in the upper left.

More photos are the Olympus site:

http://www.olympusdiving.com/PhotoGallery/tabid/56/Default.aspx

Seeing the photos is, IMHO, a good way to remember how George lived and the industry he helped create in NC. There are a number of plaques regarding his operation in the NC Aquarium in Morehead City.

Attachments

• whaleshark 9_2.jpg
    whaleshark 9_2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 334
What a loss to the dive community. George was a first class guy, a real diver, and has contributed greatly to wreck diving in the Atlantic. When you dive a North Carolina wreck in the future, it is very possible that George made it possible for you to identify the wreck. He certainly did much to move the names correctly over the "wreck site" previously identified by the Navy after WWII.

To his family, please accept our sympathy and we hope they have good days ahead.

Phil Ellis

I'm so stunned. Things can happen so unexpectedly in this world. The Carteret County News-Times says that he had a heart attack Sunday evening while on board the boat.

George Purifoy was one of the nicest divers I've ever met. If you'd take the time, he would love to talk to the divers that came to his shop or on his boats.
He will definitely be missed...

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to passings...

I've been in shock all morning long over this. I have dove with them for the past 9 years and just can't get over it. It is a horrible tragedy. Deepest sympathies to the family and Olympus crew. From the Olympus website, I saw this message:

George G. Purifoy 1/08/1945 - 9/14/2008
The Olympus Family would like to thank everyone for their support and sympathy in our difficult time. The Purifoy family has established a fund through DAN in memory of George Purifoy and his passion for diving. You can call 1-800-446-2671 ext 9445 to make a donation in lieu of flowers in support of the family.
Service Information is sitll pending.

Very sad to hear this. George was a great guy and always ran a tight operation. NC diving will simply not be quite the same without him as part of it. All my best to his family and friends and hoping that the shock will soon pass.

Back
Top Bottom