Geo shows ongoing dive at 6 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same thing happened when i turned on our 3 computers during the flight, that at desent , they all went into dive at 6 feet. At turnon they must measure the current pressure as the zero depth.

Also fun was that during that flight, when checking out the NDL limits in surface mode, they were showing shorter then normal (then at sea level) limits by about 4? minutes at 60 feet, due to the altitude diving feature in them which must reduce the tables for a reduced surface pressure.

In the 80s i had heard that, planes (not specific) are required to pressurize to the 8000 foot range to primarly reduce the energy of explosive decompression damage when flying at 40000 when a window blows. Tests had shown the difference between a cabin set a 8000 or one at sealevel made it clear that it was a big surviablity difference, and then to the passengers too i would imagin. And that outside law, you can choose to dial up the pressure to sealevel on your own plane. I would guess that planes are built to the minimum requirements these days and that the energy for pumping the air from 40000 to 8000 vs 40000 to 0 for cabin air, is a energy fuel savings. 3 reasons.

In any case....
During lunch today the Geo kicked back into regular surface mode.
It sometimes goes into wet mode on my wrist, too...

In any case....
During lunch today the Geo kicked back into regular surface mode.
It sometimes goes into wet mode on my wrist, too...

What is your wrist doing at the time that it goes into wet mode?

existing? Probably sweating...

I noticed the same thing with my Timex Helix dive watch/bottom timer. This January I went from Minneapolis to Houston, it started diving as we descended from 35,000'. By the time we landed, it was 9 fsw. Same thing occurred on the last leg of the trip to Cancun. I was flying Continental. On a recent flight to Maui, it didn't happen, flying Delta.

I did notice the need to equalize more often on the Conti trip, seemed like every 1' descent needed to equalize. I hope that this was what occurred with your DC. The Helix resets depth by swithing modes so I didn't see anything different when I dived.

Good Luck with your Geo, guess I'll have to check out if my VT3 will do this, on the flight home!! LOL

Thanks!
First time I've seen one go into a dive on a flight.
Live and learn I guess!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom