Geo shows ongoing dive at 6 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pelagicsal

Dedicated Dive Bum
Reaction score
A half-mile norte del Centro, Cozumel, Mx.
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just returned home from a dive trip. On the trip, the Geo worked fine, but on the flight home, when I checked the time, I saw it was displaying a 6 foot dive that has now gone on for 3:50.

How concerned should I be? I bought it 11/28/08.

Should I send it in to Oceanic for service or visit an authorized dealer? Should I just get the battery replaced?

I am leaving on another trip on April 3, so it picked a bad time to lose its mind!

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.

I have read many post describing flaws with the GEO. One of the most popular is the battery issue. I think Oceanic should recall the Geo as a service to its customers like a car manufacture would do. I have had my Geo go blank in the middle of a dive and then come back on. It is currently in route to my house from the Manf for a firmware update that is supposed to correct the known problems.

Hmmmmm... so battery replacement or send it on in? What do you think?
It's been fine on the couple hundred dives I've taken it on...

Caveat: I have no specific knowledge of the Geo, I don't know if its pressure transducer works the same way.

But I thought this recent post about a generally similar phenomena in a Suunto computer might be of interest:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...kko-depth-sensor-inaccurate-possible-fix.html

It can't hurt to soak your computer in some warm fresh water. Maybe it's a fix, maybe not, but it won't cost you much to try.

I think Oceanic should recall the Geo as a service to its customers like a car manufacture would do.

As they should have with the Veo250.

Its a possible issue with all dive computers.
What most likely happened is when on the plane the computer did a pressure measurement right before decent. Then when the plane descended it now thinks your diving. I had the same thing happen to a pro plus 2 that turned on in my carry on during a flight.

When I checked it a day or so later it fixed its self. If not you can pull the battery for a few minutes to reset it.

It would not hurt to contact Oceanic about your problem. Their customer service is excellent. They probably had this issue before and can send you in the right direction. You can contact Support at PDCsupport@oceanicusa.com they usually respond quick.

can't hurt to soak your computer in some warm fresh water. Maybe it's a fix, maybe not, but it won't cost you much to try.

This also makes perfect sense.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll drop it in warm water for a few hours. If that doesn't help, I'll try the battery removal trick tomorrow.

I've not had a computer do this - four different computers and about 20 years...

And thank you for the Oceanic contact info! Will be in touch with them tomorrow.

Wow, talk about blowing a simple totally explainable issue way over board.

Just check it in the morning, if it still thinks its diving yank the battery for a minute and done.

Wow, talk about blowing a simple totally explainable issue way over board.

Just check it in the morning, if it still thinks its diving yank the battery for a minute and done.

This very well may be the issue, but anyone who is familiar with the GEO, knows that the computer must be wet(if wet activation is on) and must be submerged to 5ft before it logs a dive. I am not saying you are wrong, but we are not blowing anything out that is totally explainable.

Back
Top Bottom