Generic running updates thread -or- "Going Pro's Goings Prose"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, here I am again, wondering which thread should be graced by my latest writings about another requirement met or an additional class complete. It occurs to me that I'm not sure whether any particular thread is best-suited for such trivial matters as mentioning which skills have been done and which are soon to rear their fantastically non-trivial (to me, at least) heads.

To that end, I hereby create this thread with the express purpose of being a welcoming home for all those less-than-monumental bits. No update is too small or insignificant, as even attending a class shows progress, and posting progress certainly makes it seem as if progress is indeed being made. Also, if it feels like you are tooting your own horn, don't worry about it. If you don't post, nobody else will (unless you happen to have multiple ScubaBoarders in your class), and the rest of us can't enjoy your progress if you don't post as you go.

So, post your updates, and we can all enjoy the progress as we make it.

Okay, there. Now that I have a place to post, I'd better get to it, eh? :biggrin: (This one will be rather long, since I just worked a class, and I tend toward verbosity.)

Last week, I assisted with my first NAUI Scuba Diver class (i.e. beginning divers). It was a "weekend" course, which at our shop means Tuesday night, Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. We do classroom sessions on Tuesday night and Friday night, and then some class in the morning followed by pool time both weekend days.

Tuesday night was semi-crazy. I went into it not really knowing *anything* about what exactly goes on for a "weekend" course. (I took the long-form course when I was certified, so the information and skills are identical, but the logistics are *very* different. Plus, that wasn't yesterday. :wink:) I had about an hour to get everything ready. The main things were paperwork (folders, waivers, DAN, etc.) and wetsuit/BC sizing, but even my notes didn't quite manage to keep all the balls juggling. Got all the sizes, at least. I also found out that I was to teach a section on Friday (I got to choose, so I went all-in with my favorite -- dive tables :D).

Before Friday, I stopped by the shop a couple times to get the lesson together and get everything together for the weekend. We use various pools around town for classes, depending on the course and dates, so there's the logistics of loading everything into the big red van. Got that mostly done Friday before class. I'm glad I work only about a mile away, as I get to knock some stuff out at lunch to make everything flow better when crunch-time hits.

Anyway, on Friday, I juggled the rest of the paperwork again, this time managing to get everything complete, and I had the great pleasure of teaching the dive tables. The best part (HA!) was when the instructor had me continue past the section I'd prepared. Going into the next section seat-of-the-pants actually was *easier*, believe it or not. I know the stuff backwards, forwards, and several other directions, and as I was finally hitting the groove about then, at least it *seemed* easier. (My favorite part was calling on the guy in the back who was chatting and not paying any attention. When the guy he was talking to pointed out that everyone was waiting for him to answer the problem, the look in his face was priceless. The class participation notably increased at that point. :))

So, before Saturday, I'd done a triply-indexed list sheet (names by last name; names, BC size/number, and wetsuit size/number by first name, and names by gear (BC/wetsuit) number). That was tremendously helpful when it came time to hand everything out. I just grabbed a piece and handed it to the right person. (And when someone inevitably walked up and asked which number was theirs, I could look that up equally easily.)

The biggest logistical problem afterward was that several the BC/reg sets were placed back on the wrong hangers (BC, reg, and hanger should match). I dug around my garage and pulled out an old halogen work light stand, a metal tube (about four feet long, looks like it's from a bike rack or something), and a few spring clamps. Then, at the pool Sunday, once everyone had their gear assembled on the tanks, I grabbed all the hangers and collected them on my little two-foot-high hanger stand (and I even sorted them into numerical order... but that's just because I'm slightly obsessive :biggrin:). After the pool session, everyone had to come to pick up their matching hanger, at which point I'd clip the zip tie holding their mouthpiece on the reg (they have to provide their own mouthpieces). Amazingly, not a single BC or reg was on the wrong hanger when we loaded everything back in the van. :D

As for the pool sessions, that part was far easier and more fun than just about anything else, but hey, it's diving -- what do you expect? :wink: I knocked out another quick skill (recover 10 pounds of weight belt from the deep end in no gear but your swimsuit). I got to demo all the entries and several skills, and I basically did the assisting thing all around (grab more weight, remove weight, retrieve weights after the drills, swap billions of O-rings... the usual :D). They got their money's worth out of me (hehe), and I certainly gained experience.

Anyway, the *next* class ought to be *much*... er, make that *MUCH*... easier, logistically-speaking, as now I have a decent idea about what needs to be done. (Amazing how that works, isn't it?) If the other two guys in the DM class get to assist with a class that I'm also working, they ought to have smooth sailing (although I'll certainly let them learn it all). :biggrin:

Tomorrow and Wednesday evening, we're having an advanced course, so I should be able to get in the pool to knock out some more stuff before our next DM class session Thursday. I'd like to get the rest of the swims knocked out, maybe the 900 yard snorkel, (maybe some tows), and if they'll let me, a first try at the skin ditch and recovery. Gotta hit the scuba bailout, too, if there's still time. That one was just plain *fun* when they let my buddy and I do it during Rescue. (We actually asked for it.) :D

A moose once bit my sister.

Does that count as sufficiently less-than-monumental to include in this thread?

This is fun to read, Clay. My husband's been going through his DM class, but he hasn't really had an opportunity to assist in a big open water class, where your kind of logistics have to be handled. He HAS had the experience of working with a student who was just like I was in OW -- utterly clueless about buoyancy -- and he came home with steam coming out of both ears. Made me appreciate the patience of the DMs who were stuck with me even more than I did at the time!

Isn't it great that NAUI lets you do all that stuff! YMCA does as well. I'm doing AI and tomorrow night will give the dive environment lecture then pool and on thursday give the Dive Planning lecture. When I did my PADI DM I was not allowed to give any lectures. Or Demo skills for the first time. Now myself and the two guys doing their DM with me are conducting the entire class. The instructor is there and oversees everything but we organize and prepare lectures, decide how pool sessions will go and who works with who, and other than the skills checkout in OW which the instructor must do conduct all the ow activities. BTW we are doing two checkouts starting Sunday- in Bonaire- where it's warm- and as a result of already being a certified DM I get to write off part of this trip!

This is fun to read, Clay. My husband's been going through his DM class, but he hasn't really had an opportunity to assist in a big open water class, where your kind of logistics have to be handled.
Frankly, I love logistics. :biggrin: I spent all last year's checkout trips working various logistical aspects of the dives (everything from gear loading to diver organization to O-rings to getting everyone on *both* the boat's waiver list and our roll-call sheet), and now I've had some initial experience with the dozen-student OW class. That I got a degree in chemical engineering (basically because I considered it fun) should make it rather obvious that I love efficiency and finding better ways to do things, eh? :D
He HAS had the experience of working with a student who was just like I was in OW -- utterly clueless about buoyancy -- and he came home with steam coming out of both ears. Made me appreciate the patience of the DMs who were stuck with me even more than I did at the time!
Early last year, I got buddied up with the "problem student" on one of our early checkout trips. He never did the "upturned turtle descent", but in most every other way, he was the equal of almost any scary diver story I've read. I didn't go home with steam coming out of my ears (I'm probably more of a "*Sigh*... okay, let's take it again from the top..." type of personality), but the guy was *quite* taxing to manage. He was not certified after that trip.

Later in the season, he made it back to another checkout. The difference was night and day. He had buoyancy control (better than average, even). He had situational awareness. He even paid attention to signals. On the first dive, I couldn't help but think, "Wow. This guy's actually *diving* this time, and he's diving pretty well." He *did* earn his certification that trip, and he made a point to thank me for watching out for him and keeping him from hurting himself the first time, as he said he now knew just how much work he had to have been. Being able to congratulate him on his amazing improvement (and his effort spent achieving it) was one of the highlights of the year.

Now, I'm getting to work with students even more (and earlier), and it's certainly rewarding. It's especially great when you get to see the light go on or skills improve from one session to the next. Being able to pull from ScubaBoard's collective experience is nice, too. (I used the "Mask clearing isn't blowing the water out of your mask; it's filling your mask with air." concept with someone last weekend. It worked. :))

Isn't it great that NAUI lets you do all that stuff! YMCA does as well. I'm doing AI and tomorrow night will give the dive environment lecture then pool and on thursday give the Dive Planning lecture. When I did my PADI DM I was not allowed to give any lectures. Or Demo skills for the first time. Now myself and the two guys doing their DM with me are conducting the entire class. The instructor is there and oversees everything but we organize and prepare lectures, decide how pool sessions will go and who works with who, and other than the skills checkout in OW which the instructor must do conduct all the ow activities.
According to one highlighted passage from the NAUI Leadership and Instruction text, "Assistants may teach any topic during academic classes for which they have previously demonstrated competence, or as they develop, while supervised by a NAUI instructor." At my LDS, they actually make it a point to stress the leadership and instruction aspects of DM (which is a superset of AI in the NAUI progression). It makes sense, since all the academic parts of diving (physics, physiology, etc.) is covered in the NAUI Master Scuba Diver recreational top-level course (having passed that test is one of the entry requirements). Since we come into it already knowing the mechanics, Divemaster (or AI, if you don't *want* to include leading certified divers) is all about building leadership, instruction, and practical (logistics) skills.

Oh, and as a candidate, I even count toward ratios in confined water (although in open water, I don't affect the ratios at all, positively or negatively). :biggrin:

BTW we are doing two checkouts starting Sunday- in Bonaire- where it's warm- and as a result of already being a certified DM I get to write off part of this trip!
Okay, so as long as I keep thinking about going to Bonaire in August, I can probably avoid becoming *too* jealous of you right now. :wink:

Oh, by the way, last night was fun. I basically got to just sit in on the Advanced class and help with little stuff like collecting all the gear we'll be using (lift bags, lines, etc.), answering questions, and other such stuff. (I got to grade a Nitrox exam, too.) Just handling all the background tasks to help the class flow better and take some work off the instructor was quite enjoyable. (Their instructor is also the lead in our divemaster course.)

Anyway, just helping with the class was great experience. I got to see more of how *he* teaches (it's easier to see when you're not a student in the particular class), and I got to be exposed to being in a leadership position with students around. The more time you spend with class situations, the more comfortable you become in them. I'll probably really appreciate the extra time when I have to (er, get to?) present another lesson. :biggrin: We'll be back at the shop tonight, and then in the pool. Ought to be fun. :D

Hey Clay, you're hired :D Ok, you have to work for free but you're welcome to come up and assist with my classes any time!

Let's see, little updates:
My instructor kicked me out of the nest to grow on my own as an instructor 5 1/2 years ago. This quarter she has been coming down to help out with surface stuff and give some tips/training to the new staff members. It's been a little weird teaching in front of her because I really do look up to her and want her to be proud of me. Naturally the first day she came down I was trying something new since I have 14 students who get their stuff together at vastly different rates. Let's just say it ended up being a complete cluster (won't be doing THAT again) and while she noticed (the students didn't) she didn't mention it until I brought it up. She said she didn't want to step on my toes but if I wanted I could go ahead and get in the water and she would push the students in to me next time. "Next time" worked like a charm and she got the ones who needed some extra work in first and I was able to get them done by the time she had the rest coming to me. It's still a little weird being the instructor in charge with her around, I was her DM for several years and I want to slip back into that role when I work with her. She did say she is proud of me and pleased with how my students are doing, that absolutely warms my heart!
Ber :lilbunny:

Well, last night we had an Advanced class in the pool. From what I've read from some of the more disaffected current and former DMCs I've read, I'm supposed to resent being used as free help for loading all the tanks and gear and everything, but for some strange reason, I truly enjoy it -- in fact, I volunteered for it. Helping with the Advanced class this week isn't part of our DM course syllabus or anything. I just did it to have fun, learn some more, and get in some enjoyable manual labor. (Yeah, I'm a weirdo, but I'm convenient to have around. :biggrin:)

It was fun helping with this class, as there's a lot more playing (with purpose) than in a weekend basic class. Not only did we not have to load all the student gear (since all six guys provided their own), but we got to load all the "toys". We did lift bag work, search & recovery skills, a cool problem-solving rig, blackout masks, and other such things, so all that stuff had to be worked out ahead of time and loaded, but there's a lot less stress when you're not having to "worry" over a bunch of new students. (Shutting off the pool building's lights for a night dive is quite fun, too.)

Anyway, while we were gearing up for the pool stuff, I asked Mark if he had time for me to knock out a skill afterward. He graciously agreed. While everyone was breaking down and packing up, he asked what I wanted to do. Anybody have a guess as to what I simply had to choose? :biggrin:

Yep. Skin ditch and recovery. I figured if the 450 yard swim requires the most effort to be ready, the skin ditch and recovery is probably the "hardest" from a psychological (and somewhat physiological) perspective. Since we really didn't have a bunch of time to knock out a bunch of the easy-but-long skills, knocking out possibly the short-but-hardest skill would provide a reasonable feeling of accomplishment.

The first time I tried it, I was nervous. I took too large a breath before diving back for my gear, and coupled with being uneasy and trying too hard to get down (and down too quickly), I only got one fin on before feeling too air-starved and having to abort. I didn't feel bad for having failed the first attempt, having never tried it before, and in fact, I dare say that it helped very much toward calming me down and letting me relax into it.

The second attempt, I was no longer nervous. I didn't need to get it right *that attempt*, as there seemed little difference between getting it right on the second or seventh attempt (unlike trying to get it on the first try). I remembered the tips from ScubaBoard, and I did not take nearly so large a breath this time. I also blew slightly out of my nose all the way down to have less water up (down?) my nose. Other than a little pike kick at the surface and a few arms waved to direct myself down, I pretty much just coasted to my gear. (I wore a 5/4 with enough weight that I could float just enough at the surface to breathe comfortably with my head back and my lungs nearly full, and the compression of the neoprene gave me a little extra negativity on the descent and at the bottom, which was in the vicinity of 15 fpw [feet of pool water].)

It seemed to take quite a long time to get to the bottom, but I did not feel air-starved as I had on the first try. The adjustments to my breathing and mental state did their job. I landed, popped my fins on (I *LOVE* spring straps :D), and grabbed my mask, figuring that there was no reason to try to put my mask on while I was still there on the bottom. By then, I was beginning to feel the urge to breathe. I pressed my mask against my face and cleared it as I started ascending; the small exhalation felt quite nice. Then I just pulled the neoprene strap over my head, stuck the snorkel in my mouth, and cleared it as I was (finally! hehe) reaching the surface.

The skin ditch and recovery was the only skill I did last night, but the night was certainly worth it. We're going to go back there to clean the pool sometime in the near future, so I'll help out with that and be able to get more skills signed off (there won't be any students around, so we'll have plenty of time). All the stuff I've been able to do since the last DM class night (two weeks ago -- we didn't meet on Valentine's) is probably going to get me a little ribbing by the other DMC (we're down to two of us now), but hopefully I can start motivating him a little to really press toward the skills himself.

Anyway, splash another skill. :biggrin:

Hey Clay, you're hired :D Ok, you have to work for free but you're welcome to come up and assist with my classes any time!
Someday, I'm really going to have to get up there to help with a class, but there'll have to be one requirement: during or afterward, a game of ScubUNO *must* be included. :D

Last night was just a classroom night for us. As with you CJ, there's only two of us. We had our Physiology lecture and then the exam. I was a little nervous heading into the exam given the amount of material covered. I also had the toughest time on this chapter in the workbook than I had on any of the previous topics. I think that helped as it made be focus more clearly on review and exam prep. I was able to ace the exam .... 20/20.

That was the sixth exam. I've now passed supervising certified divers, supervising student divers, equipment, DM lead programs, physics and physiology. All I have left are (1) deco theory and the RDP and (2) dive skills and the environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom