General travel info for Indo needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Karen Dancheck

Karen Dancheck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are planning our first trip to Indo. This will be our 2nd trip to the Pacific. We were in Palau in 2014. Can anyone direct me to any book, thread or SB posts with general travel info and tips? Thanks in advance!

The book Diving in Indonesia by Sarah Ann Wormald focuses on diving. Otherwise, check out any general travel book for Indonesia such as Lonely Planet's or Rough Guide's.

Bluewater Dive Travel has info also.

Bird's Head Seascape is good for Raja Ampat and nearby regions. The creator of that site also has an out-of-print printed book on the subject.

Sounds like you're already a seasoned traveler, and you've been across the Pacific before, so not sure how much this may help - my Dec. 2022 Raja Ampat trip report has some info.

Can you narrow down what part of Indonesia you're looking to travel to, and what sort of tips you're after? Are you trying to decide what part of Indonesia would be best for you, or what parts are good what seasons of the year?

Do you plan to stick to touristy areas and/or a liveaboard, or spend more time 'off the beaten path?'

For general info., I found this page interesting - Wikitravel – Indonesia. Extensive overview of a range of logistic concerns.

Richard.

Sounds like you're already a seasoned traveler, and you've been across the Pacific before, so not sure how much this may help - my Dec. 2022 Raja Ampat trip report has some info.

Can you narrow down what part of Indonesia you're looking to travel to, and what sort of tips you're after? Are you trying to decide what part of Indonesia would be best for you, or what parts are good what seasons of the year?

Do you plan to stick to touristy areas and/or a liveaboard, or spend more time 'off the beaten path?'

For general info., I found this page interesting - Wikitravel – Indonesia. Extensive overview of a range of logistic concerns.

Richard.
Spending a week at Villa Markisa and a week at Wakatobi. Just looking for general info on what to pack what not to pack. Immunizations needed. Suggestions on tipping. Tip in US $ or should we plan to get money exchanged.

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Indo. This will be our 2nd trip to the Pacific. We were in Palau in 2014. Can anyone direct me to any book, thread or SB posts with general travel info and tips? Thanks in advance!

There are many FB groups for Komodo Raja Ampat Bali both diving and general tourism. Very good information on those FG groups. Or on SB use the search function diving in Indonesia several threads on SB.

I only brought shorts and t shirts as the temperature is warm.

Spending a week at Villa Markisa and a week at Wakatobi. Just looking for general info on what to pack what not to pack. Immunizations needed. Suggestions on tipping. Tip in US $ or should we plan to get money exchanged.

OK for currency, just bring your ATM card and withdraw cash it will be in Rupiah. I usually bring US$100 in small 20 bills for some trips but don't use it for tips. Don't need to bring large amounts of cash, many places do take credit cards. Small warungs ( eateries ) only take cash.
Tipping is not required. No need to do it in restaurants etc. I do tip my dive guides. Many resorts have porters to bring your dive gear to a shore dive or boat but they are paid by the resort. You need your Covid vaccination certificate showing you have had two shots. You also need to down load the PeduliLindungi app for immigration.

OK for currency, just bring your ATM card and withdraw cash it will be in Rupiah. I usually bring US$100 in small 20 bills for some trips but don't use it for tips. Don't need to bring large amounts of cash, many places do take credit cards. Small warungs ( eateries ) only take cash.
Tipping is not required. No need to do it in restaurants etc. I do tip my dive guides. Many resorts have porters to bring your dive gear to a shore dive or boat but they are paid by the resort. You need your Covid vaccination certificate showing you have had two shots. You also need to down load the PeduliLindungi app for immigration.

Great thanks for all the info!! I've never traveled with my ATM card. In the past I've split cash up between my husband and I and had it transferred if needed. Not sure what the better option is. Can we bring copies or digital pics of our Covid card vs the original card?

CASH is king. I never carried ATM card when travelling. You have to be careful with the hidden charges on some cards. Credit card is for emergency only.
Tipping is a big thing in US but not over in SE Asia or even Europe. Tipping is greatly appreciated but not expecting. Never ever 10% of the package. It is your money afterall.
Look at your whole itinerary and find out where you need to spend money locally.
Indonesia is quite humid/hot so pack accordingly. Long sleeve to protect form biting insect in the evening is useful but not practical for me. I use repellent only.
Check the latest entry requirement.

Great thanks for all the info!! I've never traveled with my ATM card. In the past I've split cash up between my husband and I and had it transferred if needed. Not sure what the better option is. Can we bring copies or digital pics of our Covid card vs the original card?

Must bring the original international travel vaccination card. It is not enough to just have a card showing vaccination. So in Taiwan we have vaccination card showing shots. For travel to Indonesia I needed a separate vaccination card for international travel. Not sure what the USA does for this. They did ask to see my card at the airport before going to the immigration entry counter. Also have to pay the Visa on Arrival fee which is US$35 which I paid using my credit card. I assume you pay for your resorts with credit card. If diving with them also with credit card. When I dived in Lembongan and Lombok I paid in Indonesian cash for the dive ops as they are not part of the resort. In Bali I paid by credit card at the resort including all my dives at the resort.

No need to bring large sums of US$ cash. For my own ATM cards I can use my online banking app to disable or enable overseas use. So I enable, draw what cash I need, then disable the overseas use. I've been traveling to Indonesia since 1980. Never had travelers cheques or cash stolen. Never had issue with my ATM or credit cards being scammed either but it does happen. Anyway credit card companies are quick to stop any fraud when reported.

16900.jpg
16899.jpg

CASH is king. I never carried ATM card when travelling. You have to be careful with the hidden charges on some cards. Credit card is for emergency only.
Tipping is a big thing in US but not over in SE Asia or even Europe. Tipping is greatly appreciated but not expecting. Never ever 10% of the package. It is your money afterall.
Look at your whole itinerary and find out where you need to spend money locally.
Indonesia is quite humid/hot so pack accordingly. Long sleeve to protect form biting insect in the evening is useful but not practical for me. I use repellent only.
Check the latest entry requirement.
Do you exchange USD upon arrival? Wasn’t sure if USD are accepted to pay for cash only things.

I have the United MC. I’ll check again, but I don’t believe there are any foreign transaction fees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom