General travel advice -- SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
We will be traveling to visit friends who live in Redondo Beach this coming spring (they are brand new to CA). In addition to seeing our friends, we will likely be doing some of the typical family things in the area -- DisneyLand, Legoland, San Diego Zoo, etc., etc.

Having never been to that area before, I'm trying to target a general area to stay that will enable relatively easy access to the Redondo/Anaheim area as well as San Diego. 2 adults, 2 kids (9 & 7). Any suggestions for specific towns/areas to target/avoid? Obviously areas closer to the coast would be better.....

Thanks.

-Chris

In between Anaheim and San Diego, is Laguna beach, San Juan Capistrano, & Ocean Side. All great areas.
Why not stay in Disney for a night or two, and then move to north county San Diego, where the wild animal park and Lego land are.
Wonderful trip, Chris. My parents live there.

:sunny:

PS I'm sure more natives will come in to answer your questions, but if you need more specific help with hotels let me know.

Welcome.

I'll spare you the geography lesson - but you're talking about coastal orange county (O-Cal) ...can be pretty, but think big bucks.

I recommend heading south as a base of operations, and schlepping north for DisneyLand. Specifically San Diego, Oceanside, Carlsbad, Dana Point, etc. These are nice, coastal and not generally as tony as Laguna, Huntington beach, et al.

SanDiego Zoo will be a little south, Lego land in your back yard, and DisneyLand a short romp up the freeway. If I was doing this trip, that's what I'd do.

Redondo isn't really close to San Diego... so you8 may want to split the trip. Do a few days in O-Cal and a few in LowCal.

Be sure to reserve more than a day trip to the zoo. San Diego (Low-Cal) is just a rockin' place. Balboa park always has something going on, you could go get lost in Horton Plaza (think of an outdoor Mall designed like an Escher drawing...) "The Quarter" (the gaslamp quarter....the trendy downtown SD) has lots of great eats and is always a fun walk after dinner. OldTown San Diego has real mex food, and is a cool old place.

There is lots of shore diving in SD area - so if part of your group dives, and part doesn't, you're not locked into an all day boat dive. Part of you dive La Jolla cove or La Jolla shores in the AM, the other part rents Kayaks, or hangs out in La jolla for a few hours.

You could go the Coronado Hotel...they have a cool beach and are a great brunch hang. Get lots of pics - the place is a gem. There is a harbor cruise (a few, actually) that are nice at sundown. I just love SD. I'll live there one day.

I could blather on, but I think its more fun to get So Cal travel insider tips from texans.... :D

K

From what I have heard from relatives, you may want to consider skipping LegoLand with kids 9 & 7 - my nephew found it a big yawn :snooze: after Dizzyland and the Zoo.

sapphire

Laguna area is very nice; you can get in some great shore dives while you're there. If you are an AAA member, the travel guide can help you with accomodations.

and to a diver's heart, there is the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, but do this in the morning before it becomes nuts. I think an AAA card will get you a discount...
In Redondo Beach, north of the pier, there is a fish market/casual restaurant called Captain Kidd's. It the kind of place where you put in your order, and they call your number and you go get the food and take it back to picnic bench tables. Kids might like this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom