General Sizing Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggiebq86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm 5'-10" and weigh 225 lbs. I wear a 36"-38" waist pant and 46 jacket. Looking at most sizing charts when I go large enough for my weight, I exceed my waist and height. Generally, which measurement will govern when selecting a full wetsuit?

I'm 6' 235# (hey, I'm working on it!) with a 38" waist and 48" chest so have the same basic question.

In my recent class we wore ScubaPro shorties in a pool. The XL I wore the first day required a bit more effort to breathe. The XXL I wore day 2 allowed water to slosh in the sleeves and legs. So with ScubaPro I'm an XL who needs to lose some weight, but when checking out Pinnacle I seem to be in between L and XL.

I would say weight and shape matter more than height, in my experience, unless it's an extreme mismatch. The one caveat to might be if you are very long-waisted, because if the suit were too short in that dimension it might be uncomfortable; whereas I don't think slightly long arms or legs would be such an issue (I have one "tall" suit even though I'm not "tall" - I bought it used so not much choice - and I don't find it to be a problem).

You might want to check into a Waterproof brand wetsuit. I I like that they have TONS of off-the-rack sizes. Not just S-M-L-XL, but for example M, M+, M-tall, ML, ML+, ML-Tall, etc.

My usual dive buddy is about your height and a bit stockier, and an off-the-shelf Waterproof suit fit him just fine.

Here is a size chart to give you an idea:
waterproof mens.jpg

If you are planning to buy now, you might like to know that they recently went to a new suit line (looks like mostly a color change, but maybe some details too), and so the "last year's" are available from them on close-out and/or at various shops. The old line names were Capri = 3mm; Lynx = 5mm; Aries = 7mm; Taurus = 7mm semi-dry. The Capri came in a shorty as well.

I probably sound like a Waterproof stockholder, but I'm not :wink: It's just that they are the only ones I have found to fit me off the rack, they have really nice features (double cuffs and ankles, front neck zipper to ease the tightness while on surface interval, etc.), and they seem to be high quality suits. They do have a textured liner that does not dry as quickly as a "skin" liner, but then there is also nothing to wear off, so that's a trade-off (some of the skin suits I looked at had a liner/coating on them).

BTW, the new models are far less "Power Rangery" in color scheme. Basically black with a bit of trim.

Blue Sparkle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom