General Rule for Choosing BC's Lift Capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lonely Boy

Contributor
Reaction score
What is the general formula to select the lift capacity of a BC?

Should we consider the weight of diver, weight carried, wetsuit thickness, etc.?

I am considering to buy a BC but do not want to over invest on those with more than enough lift capacity.

Thank you for advice.

There are already a large number of threads that discuss this. Do a search and you will find lots of answers.

Lonely Boy once bubbled...
What is the general formula to select the lift capacity of a BC?

Should we consider the weight of diver, weight carried, wetsuit thickness, etc.?

I am considering to buy a BC but do not want to over invest on those with more than enough lift capacity.

Thank you for advice.

Read this for appropriate wing sizes http://www.baue.org/faq/wing_size.html

I dont suppose anyone will see this reply as the thread is over 2 years old but here goes anyway. I did a search on "lift capacity" and have been reading the threads all morning. When I found this thread I was very excited as the original poster asked the exact question I was looking for. I was so dissapointed that all he was told was to do a search since that is how I got to this point to begin with. I did find many threads with a link to calculate lift capacity but the links were no longer working. So if anyone sees this post and can tell me a simple way (Im terrrible with numbers ) to calculate how much lift capacity a person would need I would be very grateful. :) Thank you.

ScubaTwo:
I dont suppose anyone will see this reply as the thread is over 2 years old but here goes anyway. I did a search on "lift capacity" and have been reading the threads all morning. When I found this thread I was very excited as the original poster asked the exact question I was looking for. I was so dissapointed that all he was told was to do a search since that is how I got to this point to begin with. I did find many threads with a link to calculate lift capacity but the links were no longer working. So if anyone sees this post and can tell me a simple way (Im terrrible with numbers ) to calculate how much lift capacity a person would need I would be very grateful. :) Thank you.

IMO if you are diving in a wetsuit (any thickness) and on a single tank, then 30-40lbs seems about right. Of course, if you are planning to do anything else (like doubles), that number will be different.

Mike

ScubaTwo:
There are two main factors that contribute to determining an optimal lift capacity for a BC: (1) the BC has to be able to keep the entire rig on the surface and (2) the BC has to compensate for any changes in buoyancy during the dive.

The capacity required for (1) is easy to calculate, if one knows the negative buoyancy of the full tank(s). This is rarely an issue. The calculation for (2) involves two factors: the reduction in buoyancy of the tank(s) during the dive, and changes in buoyancy associated with compression of the exposure suit. And of course, one should add a safety factor.

Maybe someone else will put precise numbers on these factors. As a rule of thumb, larger lift capacities (>40 lbs) are required when using thick exposure suits, and large capacity, multiple steel tanks (doubles, stage bottles etc), which is usually associated with cold water / tech diving. Single aluminum tanks, tropical wet suits, or dry suits (because their buoyancy remains more or less constant) reduce the need for lift.

Diving a single 15l steel tank, I am OK with a 26 lb lift wing when diving dry. When diving wet, I need at least 35 lb. In tropical waters, wearing swimming trunks and a T-shirt and carrying an Al80, I can do without a BC :wink:

HTH.

ScubaTwo:

that BAUE link still works and has everything you need to know. make sure that you can float the rig without you in it (particularly if it has integrated weights) and make sure that with a full tank of gas, at depth with crushed wetsuit / flooded drysuit you can stay neutral.

I'm my limited experience, I've found most recreational caribean divers are quite happy with the lower capacity bladders (35#?) and tend to stray from higher capacities out of fear of runaway ascents. The divers I knew if the Northwest had the "get the biggest" mentality. I think this is because they all dive cold, dry and with large amounts of weight and/or redundant equipment.

My advice is think about higher capacity if you are going to trend towards piling loads of gear or weight on your torso but get a standard capacity if you are planning on tropical, 3mil, standard gear diving.

Hope that helps as a general rule of thumb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom