General expectations - of what you would truly get- when $ selling your gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing, it costs nothing to list it high. And if you find a sucker to over pay, you win. If you have the time to try it.

Craigslist is great for worthless 80s gear. Might find something for the kids to use as pool toys to keep your good stuff good.

EBay has one nice feature, looking up closed auctions, so you can see what they paid, not just dreamy asking prices.

Yep...there was a guy on SB a few weeks ago - selling his used DUI FLX 450 (I think?) for $ 2200. And went on for a long while here about what a great deal this suit was.. blah, blah - the suit then sold for $ 700 less - at $ 1500.00 and that kind of reinforces my point, I don't give a rip on a new suits $ 4400.00 price tag. Especially from an already overpriced DUI website. Once it gets wet even once- it's not going to sell for anything close to that price again. Period. To even think it would is just fantasyland.

So I want to let any future sellers know hey, just keep it real w/ your pricing structures on your ( gently used! rinsed off every time! babied! ) used dive gear when it comes time to sell. You're kind of making yourself appear foolish, or think we're a bunch of nOObs, or maybe both.

Go on LeisurePro website, see what it, or comparable gear sells for, then discount 40% or more. Nobody cares what you paid at your LDS.

I buy a lot of my gear used. I see prices all over the map. But I generally end up with really good stuff at a good price. When I see a bargain I jump on it.
On Craigslist I see a lot of newly trained divers who were conned into paying top dollar for a complete set up trying to recoup their losses. I can't blame them. Neither can I help them.
But in the end it's the buyer who determines the value of goods.

Back
Top Bottom