General air-integrated question-how does 'it' know your N2 load?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that affect the ongassing/offgassing of N2. Gas consumption IS one of them, but so are temp, exercise levels, body fat, hydration, yada, yada, yada. Contrary to what was claimed earlier... there is NO consistency between individuals and actual tissue loading of Nitrogen. Unfortunately, our scientists don't always have all of the relationships completely worked out... but they are trying.

No dive computer uses ANY of these variables to alter the schedules programmed into their memory. They only use time/depth as those are the only variables that have been quantified adequately.

Haldane was the first to try do this. There have been many schedules based on his (and subsequent) work. There are other deco models (like RGBM) that have gained a following at one time or another. Computer manufacturers make a decision based on which set of schedules they think is the most accurate. However, most divers base their decision on which computer to buy on everything BUT the type of deco model used. Style and features are the big selling points here, and usually many will try to avoid a model that is known for being "too conservative".

Most modern day tables are variations of the Navy tables (with one or two exceptions). Since these tables were developed around fit male divers with and average age of 18, something had to be done. So, they added @ 10% additional conservatism to the table (some added more) and resulted in very, very few people getting bent when they followed them correctly. Of course, the use of these tables requires only one sample point (the deepest depth) and total time.

"Undeserved hits" occur when individuals have certain variables that are not accommodated by the tables. There is usually more than one variable with (according to Dr Deco) exercising after the dive being the biggest one. A better term would be "Mis-understood hits" as something caused them... it wasn't due to any viciousness on the table's part.

Something not usually pointed out enough, is that there are far more diving accidents involving computers than not. Why? Because they let people to get closer to that mythical "line" in the sand. Most agencies will tell you to do a 5 minute safety stop with a computer, or 3 with a table. This is going with the same reasoning... they are expecting you to ride that computer to the max. Which is never YOUR real max. Yours might be higher or lower depending on all of those variables. Take a page from Hal Watts: "Plan your dive, then dive your plan." Dive conservatively.

jplacson once bubbled...
Wait... how long AFTER a dive is it safe to workout? An hour? 2? A day? Thanks! :)

The doppler studies I've read about suggest that you continue to bubble for quite a while after you come up, especially for heavy exposures. Obviously we have a lot more to learn in this area, but common sense suggests that waiting until the next day to work out isn't a bad idea (but NetDoc thinks everything I say is a troll, so take this with a grain of salt :).

Alan

I agree with Alan here... we just don't know. There have been a few instances with those who clean the Living Seas aquarium at Epcot getting bent over a day later after a heavy work out. Exercise seemed to be the main culprit in those instances, but who really knows.

Personally, I wait a FULL 24 hours after a dive before I workout, and that includes doing laps in a pool. If I waited much longer, I would never exercise. Still, I have a lot of fat that I am trying to get rid of... unfortunately, it just loves to hold onto nitrogen. Your personal time frame must be determined by YOU and you alone.

But remember... computers do a SWAG (Scientific Wild Arse Guess) when it comes to nitrogen loading. They simply do NOT measure it. You and you alone are responsible that you do all of the other neccesary things that will help you to avoid DCS. This includes a good nights sleep, proper hydration, staying fit, staying warm, avoiding exercise afterwards, eating right, staying away from deco, ascending s-l-o-w-l-y with a safety stop, and the list goes on.

As a disclaimer, I would like to point out (again) that I am not a medical doctor. My patients are sick networks and are not human. My advice comes from being a diver and a dive instructor. Obviously the real docs (like my hero, Dr Deco) understand the physiology of decompression on a far more intimate level.

NetDoc once bubbled...
that affect the ongassing/offgassing of N2. Gas consumption IS one of them, but so are temp, exercise levels, body fat, hydration, yada, yada, yada.

No dive computer uses ANY of these variables to alter the schedules programmed into their memory. They only use time/depth as those are the only variables that have been quantified adequately..
While this statement is true for MOST computers, the Uwatec air integrated computers do look at breathing patterns to try and estimate the workload/activity level. Higher Exercise/workload/activity levels increase blood flow and is commonly assumed to increase N2 loading by reducing the halftimes of some tissues.

Uwatec doesn't explain the details of their ZH-L8 ADT algorithm, nor their "microbubble" estimating algorithm ZH-L8 ADT MB, but their marketing literature clearly claims to modify the assumed N2 loading in reponse to factors other than time & depth.

the Uwatec air integrated computers do look at breathing patterns to try and estimate the workload/activity level.
So these people have quantified something we clearly don't know enough about? I guess as long as it makes it more conservative there can be no harm done. Still, I tremble when manufacturers use voodoo science in their products. Next we will be seeing magnets placed in the band! :tease:

BTW, best I can figure Suunto only uses that data to determine how much gas you have left (in minutes, that is).

If anyone is interested, here are some links that describe the Uwatec Aladin algorithm which Charlie99 mentioned. The ZH-L8 algorithm is based on Professor Buhlmann's research.

http://www.uwatec.com/imperial/15ABF.htm

This next link is like a Scientifc American article; however, it refers to ZH-L12 and ZH-L16 M-value sets. (See 3rd paragraph in this article for a definition of M-value.) It appears that the 8 in ZH-L8 implies that the algorithm was simplified. The original research use 12 or 16 pairs of coefficients.

http://www.abysmal.com/pages/articles/understanding_m_values.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom