Gekko/Vyper/Aladdin Pro/Prime - how conservative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblevision

Contributor
Reaction score
For years I've dived with an Aladdin Pro and been happy with it.

I wanted a new computer as a backup and for my occasional buddy to use and so I got a Gekko (I chose Suunto because I like the fact that Suunto shows the "floor", which the Aladdins don't).

However the Gekko is hugely more conservative than the Aladdin Pro. Like 10 minutes extra stops at 3m on repetetive dives. Personally I find that OTT and as a video pro it's a problem.

I have been told that the Suunto Vyper is less conservative than the Gekko and so I'm interested in it, but I find this hard to believe as they're both current-generation Suunto. Does anyone have any real life data on whether that is true?

Also I'm wondering about an Aladdin Prime (or Aladdin One) despite the fact it doesn't show the floor. Does anyone know how conservative it is compared to the older Aladdin Pro or the Suuntos?

Thanks!

Nick

I too have a Gekko I bought as a first computer and now wanted to use as a backup but having the same problem now I just leave it in my bag for someone who forgot theirs but Im hoping that someone needs it that it wont be my partner.

My direct experience with a Vytec (buddy has an Aladin Prime) is that on repetitive deco dives, the Vytec is far more conservative. And Vytec is the same as the Vyper algorithm.

I have a vytec and dont mind the extra conservatism, more time in the water and safer... sounds good to me

mattroz:
I have a vytec and dont mind the extra conservatism, more time in the water and safer... sounds good to me
====================================

Probably my age or years of diving or maybe even diving style ...but, like you, it's actually the conservatism that I like !! Not looking to push any envelopes any more.

'Slogger

A lot of it has to do with HOW you dive IMO. Let's say you compare an old Oceanic Data Plus computer versus the original Suunto Mosquito. If you do rapid ascents, repetitive deep dives, yeah the Suunto is going to penalize you more for that than would the antique. You can argue whether it's "right" for it to do that or not, but this is not really the fault of this computer or that. The mathematical models and thus the computer algorithm reflect current prejudices and fads.

In particular all of them warn you if you ascend quickly, and some penalize you as well. You can dive the straight Navy tables and assume you are a healthy 18-year old and can do rapid ascents. Or you can pick your poison on some more conservative recent model and live with those limits. Either way you are rolling the dice as none of them will guarantee you won't get bent.

Currently I dive a Gekko and I do "Deep Stops" on deep dives. I'm conservative about such things and I follow the current DAN studies on the matter whatever some widget on my wrist tells me. If I made my computer unhappy well I'd wait out the deco stop if I reasonably could, or I'd just bend it and switch back to tables. People make too much fuss about this issue IMO.

Having done a side-by-side comparison on a recent liveaboard, I can confirm that the Aladdin Prime algorithm appears identical to the Aladdin Pro algorithm. The Aladdin Pro is 12 years older than the Prime.

On the first day the Gekko was very similar to the Aladdins. It even gave very slightly longer no-stop time. But by the 2nd dive of the 2nd day it was starting to give 8 minutes more stops than the Aladdins, and that doesn't include the discretionary 3 minute stop. At that point I left the Gekko on the boat :) Basically the Gekko hammers you for repetetive dives such as those on liveaboards. Whether that is a good thing or not depends on your viewpoint.

I also had the following reply from someone who is very knowledgable about these computers:

Some Suunto computers allow you to set a more aggressive algorithm in the form of the RGBM50 instead of the RGBM100. The new Vyper2 probably has this feature as it has the same software now as the D6. The latest Aladins have varying degrees of microbubble-level setting (1 to 5). If you use L1, it will bring it very much into line with the Suunto RGBM100 (as standard on the Gekko).

Whichever of these computers you choose, I am sure you will be happy with your purchase. Just remember to set the microbubble level on the Aladin as the standard algorith (L0) is a bit fierce by today's standards.

I would still love to know if a Vyper 1 is less conservative than a Gekko as I prefer the Vyper 1's backlight and "floor" display over the Aladdin Prime or Aladdin One.

Personally, it will be interesting to know if Vyper's will be different from Gekko's. But I might be wrong.

Anyway, if I am thinking of getting a backup for my dive computer, I would probably go with the same brand.

As far as conservatizm I dive a Gekko and a mosquito. The Gekko is way more conservative then the mosquito as much as half, this I dont understand as both are suunto should be using the same formulas. I just bought a vytec and hope that with its 50% RGBM its more in line with the mosquito.

A couple of years on but I'm still interested in this. My Aladin Pro ain't going to last forever and I fancy a PC interface now too.

Does anyone know if more recent Suunto computers such as the Vyper2 or the D4 can be set to be less conservative than the Gekko (i.e. closer to my Aladin Pro)?

Also, does anyone know if recent Uwatec computers such as the Galileo Sol display whether or not you are above "floor" (the deepest depth at which decompression time will not increase)? The Prime doesn't and I see this as a disadvantage compared to the Suuntos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom