Gearing up: One newbies experience (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you USFpsychDiver for starting this thread. You have given me something to ponder, and an opportunity to share.

I am new to scuba, just last month; yet I am not new to this earth. I never use words such as cheap or expensive, as that to me, confuses cost with quality.

My mantra is always "Low Cost, High Quality". And I always accept free, if it is good for me.

Thus, my approach is somewhat tangential to what the OP and contributors expressed.

I hear what Beester says about viewpoints on kit, and I agree;
what feels good or what is in the best interests of others is not necessarily what is good or best for me.

Thus, I took a spec/tech/analytic approach and left the factor of cost to not concern me as of now.

By all means, feel free to comment or provide guidance on what I have expressed here. I seek to share in order to raise awareness of having a better time in the water; for me and for all others.

I have determined that the primary kit (that which I shall put most of my safety and financial resource upon) is that which keeps me alive, breathing and aware. Regulator set and Mask.

Regulator: My first choice is Hollis DC2/212 (yoke) balanced first&second stage set. Second choice is Atomic Z2x set. I like the Zirconium/Titanium bits of the Z2x; and I heard good things about the swivel and mouthpiece of the DC2/212. Both are Nitrox compatible to 40% which should see me good through my PADI cert training.

Mask: I like the Scubapro CRYSTAL VU; yet have heard little feedback on boards or reviews.
I am also checking out some masks with integrated videocams that will go to 30m.

I have also determined that my PADI training has adequately focused my awareness toward safe dive planning and I do know how to read a dive table. Got one handed to me from the class. I am not interested in skipping a safety stop just because a bit of electronics on my wrist tells me it is not necessary. The final authority on what is good for my human body, especially when submerged and breathing a limited amount of canned air, is myself.
Thus, a "cam-pyu-tore" is least on my list; and this coming from someone who has invested many rotations of the sun in IT operations.

The remainder of the items I have my eye on, are all manufactured in the nation with the lowest cost of labour.
I kid you not. Oh, and many items (not all) that say "Made in Mexico" are simply assembled there, with all pre-fab'ed parts coming from - you guessed it - with the country name that rhymes with "angina". Besides, I have a PADI DVD that includes videos of how most of this stuff is constructed. Check out the length of the nails of the regulator assemblers, *yikes*.

BCD: I plan on getting a BP/W with a circular wing design and Rear over-pressure valve. There are a number on the market - yet all fab'ed with the same spec materials. how much value-add can a human being provide, regardless of nation of birth, when setting bladder cutouts and pressing buttons?

Fins: I like the Scubapro Seawing Nova design. I am yet to discover the benefit of split fin styles. I am athletic in stature and I prefer a fin that complements that.

Wetsuit: most of my foreseeable dives shall be in warm waters. Thus, a 2.5/3mm shorty is something I intend to acquire.

Gauges: Datamax Pro Plus 2.1 and Wisdom 2 both have good reviews and write-ups. Yet, if you are shelling out 600+US, they'd better! Again, I trained on bar & meter analog gauges, and that suits me for now.

How I obtain this kit and the prices I pay are truly not important; my how is not your how.
Yet, I do plan to beat blackvans1234's outlay.

One bit of equipment no one yet seems to mention: shore flipflops. Mine are comfortable, stylish and bought in the locale where I did my first dive. Memories of that time surge forth even when I just look upon them.

Again, I am grateful to be allowed to share and express on this amazing experience of diving.

I also lighten my wallet with purchasing equipment for my son and myself. We got certified in May and have been diving every other weekend.

I believe in buying good equipment from the get go rather than having to buy it 2 times.

Purchases included:

Atomic B2 regulator, Excel wet suit, Dive rite transpac BCD, Aeris XR1, 100 hp steel tank, Atomic mask, Riffe knife,

Suunto compass and UK eLED light Cannon. And by the way, I am super happy with my equipment.

I like what I bought for equipment. I really never added it up and don't want to. For my equipment I talked to people and looked at things. Was fortunate enough to tray a few of the things I own. It makes me happy and I don't really care what it cost or if somebody else found it for $X less. I bought what I wanted. It makes me happy.:D

Nova Seawings
Tusa Expert Zoom
Henderson hyperstretch 3MM wetwuit
Neosport beanie
Oneal 5MM booties
Zeagle Stilletto
Oceanic Datamask
Oceanic BUD
Oceanic SPG (for just in case, not mounted carried in save a dive kit)
ScubaPro MK25/A700
Sherwood SR1
Aqualung Airsource 3
UK Q Light
UK 4 Ccell light
6' safety sausage
finger spool
Dive knife
gloves
stuff and box for save a dive kit
Dive Alert
Storm Whistle
pocket mirror
Sealiife DC800 with strobe and video light
Several books, magazine subscriptions
OW class and cert dives
AOW class and dives
4 soon to be 5 dive vacations(the 5th is already paid for just hasn't been taken) 6th trip is being researched.

I have enjoyed every penny I have spent and have absolutely no regrets. I would do it again, gladly.:D If it is what you like go for it and be happy.

Lol. Every time my wife and I go to the LDS for a lesson, we end up dropping quite a few benjamins. We joked this last time about how much money we were going to spend THIS time, after having bought everything we think we'd need. Sure enough, she dropped her computer, broke the lens protector and had to spend another $11 for a new one. :D

Since it's all fresh, here's our experience. I don't know if I was taken to the cleaners (it sure feels like it), but I am very happy with the quality.

First day at shop to talk about lessons, we were sold fins, mask, snorkel, booties, wetsuits, and gear bag. In addition, my wife got a skin. Initial cost, including lessons - $2200

first class try their training BCDs (Aqualung Balance).
2nd class, try a different BCD (Zeagle Rangers). This was also the class where we scuba'd for the first time, so we got to experience regulators.
Practice session after 2nd class I tried a Zeagle ... Stinger? It was different than the Ranger. Each BCD was just different enough to make me uncomfortable, but I'm still not thinking about buying a BCD or regulator or anything like that. What I thought I'd need was a dive computer.

Long story short, 3rd class we buy dive computers - Suunto Vyper Air for wife, D6i for me (without the transmitters). - $1800

Also on the 3rd class we learn air sharing and rehash regulator retrieval we learned the week before. Now I struggled mightily on the regulator retrieval method where you reach behind your back and grab the hose. I couldn't reach it the first class, and I couldn't reach it this class either. The tank just sat too low (using a Zeagle BCD with dual straps). The particular BCD I was wearing also had a very short inflator hose, so when it came time to grab my alternate air reg for buddy sharing I, you guessed it, grabbed my snorkel and sucked in half the pool. When we got the buddy air share ascent, my wife couldn't inflate her BCD on the surface because the button was too hard to press. I was holding on waiting for her to inflate and we wound up going back under. Also, my primary regulator hose was short, so the regulator I was using I felt like the mouthpiece was constantly being pulled out of my mouth. I got mouth fatigue from biting down so hard to keep it in my mouth. That was enough for me to insist we buy our own gear and practice with it until we know it inside and out.

So in between 3rd and 4th class we buy BCDs (after trying them on and getting the ones that fit best), air integrated inflator hose, regulators (APEKS xtx50), analog SPG, swivels, moldable mouth pieces, and an extra long hose for me. - $2400

Did I spend too much too fast? Don't answer, don't want to be depressed :D but I am glad to have my own gear. As we were taking our 5th class I had all kinds of issues with my BCD mainly because I was still unfamiliar with it. But now I know. Think about it, would you rather you experience the issues we experienced on a dive trip with rented gear? I know it scares me thinking about it.

But dayum. Over $6k already and lots of stuff we don't have. Getting certified costs more than our trip to St. Lucia. Hope I like scuba diving. :D

Last edited:
It is interesting listening how you all spent your $$$$. I went a different route and bought everything used EXCEPT a computer, and my reg. I figured that until I had done a hundred dives how would I know I liked it and would keep diving in the long term. :cool2:

We shall see how many of you are still around and diving in 5 years.

Last edited:
My daughter and I have been certified for less than a month. I chose to buy everything up front and new, because three months ago I was uncomfortable enough in the water that i wouldn't even get my face wet in the shower. I am more afraid of wasting money than I am of the water. There is no way I'm spending this much, then not use it, as often as possible. The surprise factor here is that i LOVE diving. It is no longer just something I am doing for my kid. Now I'm just disappointed that I have to wait between paychecks to budget dives.
Anyone doing inexpensive springs or shore trips near Tampa - invite me! I need to use this stuff.
My husband looks at the big mound of money in the Garage and smiles - 'cause he knows I can't bust his chops about guitar camp or sound equipment anymore.
Gotta spend it somewhere - although now my daughter's college education will hinge more on scholarships. Thank God she's smart!

why not used regs - take it in and have all new guts in them, when you get them back. this is the biggest myth in diving, "don't buy used" Two of my 4 regulator set-ups are used and I paid less than $50 on two of those to be rebuilt.

It's been fun reading other's experiences. When buying my choices were tempered by the knowledge that many/most people who gear up end up not doing much diving so the gear spends a few years in the garage before going on Craigslist or Ebay. While I don't expect that to happen with me, I don't imagine that anyone who drops several $K expects to not get much use out of their stuff. So it seemed unwise to go top-of-the-line for the initial outfit. If I stick with this (which I plan on -- I do enjoy it much), I expect I'll end up upgrading, keeping some of the current stuff as backup, or passing it on, or just discarding that which becomes obsolete or worn out. The BC should retain it's value and can always serve as a travel BC should I get something different. The regulator and SPG should remain functional for a long time. Wetsuits wear out and computers become obsolete -- I expect someday I'll have an air integrated computer with a GPS (surprised that underwater navigation is still based on magnetic compasses). I've been happy with the function of all the gear. Some thoughts:

The Zeagle Express Tech is not useable out-of-the-box; a crotch strap is necessary to keep it from riding up, and you need at least a few D-rings to clip stuff to, so those are additional expenses.

The Mares Nemo Wide's display, while clear to view, is not always intuitive to understand; they use a weird combination of upper and lower case letters, perhaps to reduce confusion between similar appearing letters in the same case (e.g. Q and O), but I find it hard to read.

The only purchase I chafe about is the $100 USB cable for the dive-computer interface. Unconscionable.

I'm ready to go diving again!

why not used regs - take it in and have all new guts in them, when you get them back. this is the biggest myth in diving, "don't buy used" Two of my 4 regulator set-ups are used and I paid less than $50 on two of those to be rebuilt.
I agree 100% all of my regs have been bought used. I got an awful lot of regs (4 now) for $200 total (including service costs.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom