Gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kellykins

Contributor
Reaction score
Hm well I worked out that by the time summer comes (June) I'll have about £1600 saved up. That's $2,551.74.

Is that enough for decent basic gear (excluding exposure suit)? Also thinking of taking the AOW too. I'll be diving mostly in summer.

That's if I don't spend my savings...on rubbish stuff like a new phone o_O! :)

xx

More than enough for basic set up and if you order from the states you may be able to get a suit as well. For example- DSS BPW w hog harness 450, most any environmentally sealed reg with standard octo and basic nitrox computer such as an Oceanic GT3 with cdx5 first stage 399 plus octo 75, plus 350 for the computer. 825 + 450 so far = $1275US. Shipping to UK should not be that bad even by air. you still have 1200 left! Good 7 mil suit- 450. Still nearly 1000 to spend. Do your homework on scubatoys, Leisure Pro, and other on line retailers. You can order from DSS direct. Coolhardware52 here on SB. You have more than enough to get started and take a class as long as the instructor does not rip you off.

Hm well I worked out that by the time summer comes (June) I'll have about £1600 saved up. That's $2,551.74.
Is that enough for decent basic gear (excluding exposure suit)? Also thinking of taking the AOW too. I'll be diving mostly in summer.
That's if I don't spend my savings...on rubbish stuff like a new phone o_O! :)
xx

There are always other toys that steal the money away from the important things in life, like another air fill. Your budget should get a good start on gear for basic fun diving and some of the toys for specialized diving, like wreck, or deep or photography.

The first purchase should be a comfortable wetsuit, or dry suit. . . The divers where you dive can help you choose based on water temperature. If you are looking at a thick wetsuit, because of cold water. . . you should strongly consider a custom measured suit. A 7 mm suit is uncomfortable and hard to bend elbows and knees and exhausting to put on. Many of the factory suits will offer you four or five sizes. . . that's not enough to fit all the women who want to dive. Ask at your local dive shops for recommendations of wet or dry and if they will help find a custom suit maker. . . many of the custom wetsuits come from Thailand, with a long history of excellent tailoring for clothing and wetsuits.

All that other stuff, with hoses and metal and straps. . . doesn't matter, one size fits all, and difference underwater is slight. Just go blow bubbles, keep warm and enjoy.

Then darlin' you have more than enough for a very good set of gear! You don't need to spend all of it but look at what I suggested as a starting point. I don;t know what brands you have available to you locally but do not go in and tell them you have xx money to spend on gear. Do your homework, get prices, compare, then go in armed with real numbers. If they tell you that you'll incur duty or import fees tell them to stuff it. Because if you find a good deal here, make a friend, have it shipped to them. Then have your new "uncle", "aunt", grandfather, grandmother, etc ship you your "birthday present". No duty on that I believe.

Yeah kelly with that much just do your homework and get gear you will like and be able to use for a long time. you might want to go drysuit after a little while so i would consider that as an option towards pushing you into a BP/W and i think divers supply has a sale going now or it just ended where your looking at about 320 for a full setup probably 400 shipped to you, then 700-1000 for reg octo computer setup aslong as you stay with a basic comp that is nitrox ready. Buy as you find stuff on sale or clearance aslong as you know you like it and you have about 7 months to do that so should be able to find good deals along the way.

Greetings Kelly and how awesome is that! I love buying scuba gear and am a addict!
Just listen to Jim and do your research well. Study up on the maintence and care of your prospective gear before you buy. Just recently I was going to purchase a regulator that had to be sent back to the factory for the service. Needless to say I chose another, but had I not known I really would have been disappointed.
This brings me to my next point, be sure your LDS / On-line dealer or what ever supplier you choose has a good reputation for service and honest business practices.
There are many awesome people out there but beware the sharks in the water they are out there as well.
Enjoy your hard earned gear and dive like there is no tomorrow! I made a choice early on to buy our own gear and use it as much as we could. I find now that some of it does wear out but it is so fun getting to that point and worth it ten fold!
Have fun Kelly and keep us posted on your adventures!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Hiya Kellykins,

Listen to Jimlap, mwright1985 and CamG.

1600 quid will get you more than enough diving equipment to get started, especially if you already have a suit. It's about as much as I paid excluding suits.
Your 5.5 suit (from your profile) is going to be a wee chilly for local diving in anything other than summer, though. The diving mostly in summer thing will change, trust me...

As a Suggestion for equipment - other than that it is cheaper to buy something for 400 rather than buy for 200 and replace it with a new one for 300- assuming you are going to dive in European waters, you could consider the following, based on mine and others experience:

Regulators:
Apeks (UK Made) - Cold Water resilient, and you usually get good deals on them if you shop around. Alls models are good, the main difference is price :crafty:. For Sub-10°C Cold water - Europe below the thermocline, in other words, get two 1st stages :blessing:
Figure about 500 quid for two. If you buy second hand, send them in for servicing and check-up first!!!
Alternative: Mares Abyss, mail order from Italy for a good price. Same difference in cost. Either will work very well. Apeks seem to tolerate service denial better (in my club there is a diver who has a 1500 dive / 4 year old Apeks ATX100 that has never seen service:shocked:), My Mares regs tend to throw high-pressure valve seats every three years or so, if I don't service them (hence actually servicing them).
Throw in a gauge for another 50, 70 if you like having a back-up depth gauge.

BCD:
Buy something that fits! Most makes are reasonably good, and you can always sell them on. Seaquest, Mares, Cressi, or AP-Valves (expensive) are the names to look for. There are generic and female-specific models. Couple of thoughts: Don't get a funky indeflator (Airtrim, i3, FCS or whatever they call them now) jacket, it's a solution looking for a problem, in my opinion. The regular inflator works just fine and is always in the same place if you have a jacket that fits and it is adjusted properly. Integrated weights are the way forward. As an alternative, consider a backplate/wing/DIR-Harness arrangement, like what the technical divers use. It grows with you, can be adjusted, and has few failure points, but requires thought on the surface. 400 should get you a high end deal.

Computer:
User exchangeable batteries. :blessing:
Wrist mounts are easier to keep an eye on, consoles get lost less.
Most people I dive with like Suuntos. I have never lost my Gekko. The battery has lasted for 5 years so far.
Consider either the €180 Gekko (luminescent) or the €220 Vyper (backlit), worry about other features later.

Lamp:
You will want a diving torch sooner or later. The German-made Schulz FWT GS35 LED or GS 45 LED are both good lamps, depending if you prefer the classic torch style, or the regular diving-lamp handle. About €100-€150. Alternatives are the pistol-grip Princeton Tec Lamps for similar money. Halcyon / TillyTec / Greenforce/ Salvo umbilical lamps are nice, but not needed right away and quite expensive - you need something to look forward to for next Christmas!

Tank:
Skip if you are doing tank+weight dives with a commercial centre. Otherwise buy a steel 12L (or 15L if you can carry it) tank rated to 232bar with a double aqualung din V-valve. If second hand, then get it inspected right away by someone who knows what they are doing! Some newly tested tanks I've seen were never dried properly, and were effectively scrap 5 months later. You need to take a bit more care with steel in salt water, but the better diving it gives you is worth it. About €200 tops if you shop around and haggle.

This should bring you to about 1400 quid, giving you enough to buy a couple of spring straps (€18 from dirtydivers.nl), an SMB, a knife (Wenkoa Squeeze-Lock Titanium FTW!) and other sundry small parts (weights, O-ring-kit, diving, diver's multitool, bags, diving, boxes, more diving, an adjustable spanner and more diving)

Hope this helps you plan for spending loads of money...

Now add a dry suit (€700 Intruder or €1200 Santo), a second lamp (€600 for a proper halogen job, to better see the lovely red colours, or a proper €1500 Salvo), and a Rebreather (to not scare away the fish, €3000-€METRICARSELOAD), and you can probably plan for any spare change that you can accumulate within the next lifetime or two... :D

Before you spend money, research the price on the net, and ask here, you could save a lot of money and hassle. If you go hassle the LDS, 20% extra on top of the online price for them being there to support you is not unfair - they need to make money to stay in business.

Gerbs

2 things you may need sometime down the line: Shoulder harness or suspenders to hold up the weight belt (usually more a necessity for men with slim hips). The Apollo Bio Tank Lock: You'll NEVER have a tank slip-cost about $90. You also never have to wet the BC straps. You may not need this, especially if your BC has 2 straps and/or you have mesh around your tanks.

Thank you guys!
I'm a newbie...so just wanted t know how much to save :)! So i can go on a shopping spree! Will also be asking for stuff for my birthday and christmas :)! Sooo it's a bonus!
Thanks a lot you guys!

And Jimlap thanks lovey
xx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom