Gear Review - Interspiro Divator Lite and DP-1 Surface Supply Air Unit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're in the market for a surface supply system this year- if anyone gets any hands on with the Interspiro system please post about the experience.

So far this has been a really good report and compairison. Thanks for your time Mark.

More discussion:

It was pointed out that the IS hose floats (if I am reading the post correctly). There are low pressure hoses available that also float and that is what I use because it reduces the entanglement hazard for diving to less than 60 feet, or so.

A standard umbilicle for a typicle PSD set up could be limited to just the air line and the communication line. Then it would be about the same size as the IS hose setup. And you could go even further by emliminating the com wire, using wireless communication and tying off with a smaller size strength member. On a Navy set up the com wire is the strength member. I was just describing the standard deep sea diving umbilicle as it could be ordered from Aqua Tech, Amron, Diver's Supply, (insert your favorite dive equipment store), etc.

I have used the OTS com line and once you wrap it with the IS hose it would probably work really well. I'm not so sure that I would want to use it as a life line or strenght member though.

I know there is not comm capability but as I said the IS guys are working with OTS to come up with a solution. Should be interesting to see what they come up with. is that in commercial diving this would be applicable.

It's amazing what you can do with duct tape. :eyebrow:

It's amazing what you can do with duct tape. :eyebrow:
That's one of the the things the dive class is for, mousing up the umbilicals all neat and shinny, no duct tape here.:D

I was thinking about trying that heavy duty heat shrink sleeves, a little expensive but it'd look real purdy, ever try that?

I can't see myself sliding a heat shrink sleeve 50' down a hose (assuming a 100' umbilicle) just to have to cut it off next year to inspect and repair the umbilicle. I have seen electrical tape used but it doesn't hold up and it cost a lot more than the good old gray sticky stuff. I can see the advantage of not having sticky hoses if you use heat shrink sleeves.

Thanks Mud and you are right this is a great discussion not only about IS surface supply but surface supply systems in general. I am not trying to convince anyone this the system to buy or even say that this is the best system out there. I am really just in the learning phase about surface supply systems so that when and if the time comes where our team might look to purchase a system we have as much information as possible.

As for the umbilical I am sure Mud there are many different configurations that could help to reduce bulk of the IP or LP systems. (Just what I have been told by others)

I have not decided if I would feel comfortable using the hose as the safety link. It felt real strong and the connection points for the harness were very sturdy. I guess time with the equipment would help convince me one way or the other.

From the talk I had with the IS rep the OTS guys are looking to put a small wire on the IS surface supply. They would eliminate the "rope" and just use a small wire.

You are right we could switch to wireless but they have thier pros and cons and for out team the wired system has performed flawlessly.

I will say that if I have any bias towards IS it is becuase I have been diving their AGA mask for 7 years now and I love it. I even built one for my recreational rig. I have never dove a helmet and I have tried both the KM EXO-26 and the Neptune. I still lilke the IS AGA and it is a good fit for our dive team.

Mark D.

I would be hesitant to reccomend that anyone move from the AGA system to a helmet. Most PSD training and organizations use the AGA and it is a very good, dependable diving mask. Some may point out that even sealed over a dry suit hood it really is still not a full encapsulation, but it works really well. I dive a Kirby Morgan M48 and when I don it over a lytex hood it seals every time with no leaks (note the M48 is a full face mask designed for recreational diving and not intended for contaminated water use). To change to helments is a big step that can be expensive due to the equipment cost and the training required to learn a new system. And once you use the light weight gear, who in their right mind would want to put 35 lb on their head.

I would be hesitant to reccomend that anyone move from the AGA system to a helmet. Most PSD training and organizations use the AGA and it is a very good, dependable diving mask. Some may point out that even sealed over a dry suit hood it really is still not a full encapsulation, but it works really well. I dive a Kirby Morgan M48 and when I don it over a lytex hood it seals every time with no leaks (note the M48 is a full face mask designed for recreational diving and not intended for contaminated water use). To change to helments is a big step that can be expensive due to the equipment cost and the training required to learn a new system. And once you use the light weight gear, who in their right mind would want to put 35 lb on their head.
If your getting a system specifically for polluted water work, a helmet and Viking style suit with the appropriate neck dam is essential. If your system is for general purpose work, with an occasion foray into dirty water, an AGA that is set up for positive pressure worn over a Viking style suit with dry hood will serve.

Thanks for the report Darryl:D

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Took me a re-read to catch that one.

Great thread mark, thanks to all.

Back
Top Bottom