Gear Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ptowngrl

Reaction score
I think that with all the people on this board I am going to get a lot of differing opnions but since I am new to diving I will welcome any advise.

What gear would you get first? Where and what brands are the best? I am 5'2" and petite, do they make COMFORTABLE gear for my size? I felt like the gear on my open water dives was a little too big in some places and too tight in others.

I went looking for the thread and didn't easily find it, but run back through the archives on equipment and there was a recent, quite long thread on getting gear to fit a small woman. Several specific brands were recommended.

I'm about your size, and I came to the conclusion that a BP/W setup works best for me, because of the infinite adjustability of it.

I usually recommend that people buy mask and fins first, thermal protection second and BC and Reg third since fit is most important on the mask and thermal protection you need to make sure you are getting what it right for you. As for the BC, a backplate and wings would be a good route but there are some recreational scuba manufactuers that do make gear specially for women so check around once you get the wetsuit/drysuit you plan to dive with. Check the fit with the wetsuit on so you are sure it fits right.

Go for a good fitting wetsuit then get the BC and Reg together. Your LDS may give you a deal. Christmas is coming, tell all your friends and loved ones about the little goodies you would like. Suggestions are: mask goo, a slate, nifty little flashlight, tank marker, clips, retractors, a supply of cable ties...the list is endless.

Try on everything you intend to buy. Try it out in a pool if at all possible. Good luck in getting the gear you want.

I will probably get a wetsuit for now if not intending to go for BCD+regulator yet.

As for BCD+regulator, if you are ready to go out and get them, I would suggest you try to get chances to try some of the different types. Like others, I would suggest you definitely look into BP+Wing but it doesn't mean that it is definitely the right way to go for everyone.

Exposure protection first depending on where you plan to dive the most. I got my bc and reg before my first pool session but I already had a 3 mil wetsuit. Had I not I would have gotten it first along with my personal gear. Having it before your bc makes good sense from a fit point of view. I will however deviate from some here in that I don't believe exposure protection is necessary before you get your reg. I liked knowing that thruout my ow and aow classes that I was using the same reg. I knew how it performed, the service history(even tho I trust my lds's rental gear, my first reg was rental gear they were replacing), and that nobody with cooties breathed in it after I used it the first time. I recommend if you can afford it look into your own reg. Otherwise rentals are ok if you trust the shop. One other thing to do is try to get a bc that fits even if it's a rental. Your size would indicate a small or even xtra-small in most lines. If a woman's bc is available try to get it. If your shop does not have one then perhaps buying would be a good idea. I know it sounds like jumping back and forth between opinions but fit, is for me, imperative to enjoy what I'm doing. It makes you more comfy and confident. You'll swim easier and get control of your buoyancy quicker if the gear fits properly. PS My avatar would like to meet yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom