gear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tatonkadive

Registered
Reaction score
Hey kids!

After only doing warm dives I'm thinking of biting the bullet and diving in SoCal. I tried on a few 7mm wetsuits and none fit very well, especially in the arms and the chest...except for the Henderson Hyperstretch stuff, which I found pretty amazing. I've read quite a few of the posts on the subject already, but I wanted more opinions from people who dive in the SoCal area. I'm not totally sold on Henderson stuff, but after struggling with suits just getting over my biceps, I was almost giddy when after trying on the Hyperstretch. I was thinking about a dry suit, but given that I'm also in the process of buying all of my other gear too, I don't think that I can afford the dry.

Those that dive with either the Hyperstretch or the Gold Core stuff, what do you dive in (suit type and thickness) and how do you like it? Does anyone dive with the Gold Core 5mm gloves...and are they warm enough, or do you recommend going thicker (I'd like to retain some finger mobility)?

Also does anyone know if there is a LDS anywhere between Long Beach and San Diego who rents Hyperstretch suits so maybe I could try a few setups?

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with Henderson suits, but a data point or two ... I had a terrible time with rental wetsuits when I was getting certified a few years ago. In particular none of the off-the-rack hoods fit, and I got headaches just from putting them on. Then, after I got certified, one of the first pieces of gear I bought was a custom-sized wetsuit. This was great! It's 6.5 or 7mm, not hyperstretch, though it does have gold lining on the inside which I guess is like the Hendersons. I've since ebayed or given away every other piece of dive equipment that I bought right after getting certified, but a couple of hundred dives later am still using the wetsuit.

The water temps here don't vary much throughout the year. Usually in the high 50's to the low 60's with some months getting down to the low 50's and some months up to the high 60's in the summer. If you plan on doing beach dives, a 5 mil will do you well in the summer months, but the best diving is in the winter when the water gets down to the colder side of the range stated. A 7mil will be the better choice if you plan on enjoying your bottom time.
How many different brands have you tried? Go to several shops and check out O'Neill and Body Glove suits. They have several size ranges other than small, med, large.
I don't have any experience with Henderson so I can't help you there. I do have a Body Glove 7mil one peice that was/is an excellent suit. It is old and I have pretty much retired the neoprene as I dive dry now, but I still use it on occasion, say when I dive aluminum tanks or don't want to fry my brains on a hot summer day! You can die in a drysuit doing beach dives here in the summer!
If you need any buddies, you have found the right place too.
Good luck and enjoy California diving.
Robb

I have the following Henderson suits:

Microprene;
3 mil Shortie;
7/5 mil Gold Core jumpsuit; and
2 piece 7 mil Gold Core.

I have had good luck with them and they keep me warm. I have been comfortable on 47 degree dives in the two-piece. I've heard (but no personal experience) that the hyperstretch is a tad bit cooler than the gold core. IMHO, the most important thing in a wetsuit is fit. So, if you have tried on a good number of suits and the Henderson provides the best (and good) fit. I would say go for it. If I were buying a new wetsuit, I might seriously try the Excell full suit with integrated hood. I have heard some very good comments on this suit. But, remember, a good suit that fits poorly results in a poor suit for you. I don't use the Henderson gloves....just because I got a good deal on some Akona titanium gloves.

I dive an Aquaflite titantum (generic version of the gold core) in 7 mm and I love it. Bite the bullet and go custom suit. aquaflite is good. There are also some local shops others have tried with success in Long Beach and orange county.

Between http://www.sandeaters.org and this site you should just about get you wet as often as you want to too.

I'm now diving in a 7mm Henderson Hyperstretch with a pair of 2mm Tilos gloves and some older 1/4 inch Scubapro booties. I don't get cold easily and prefer the dexterity of the thinner gloves. I've been very comfortable down to the mid 50s, so far.

I've got less than 20 dives with the new suit, but absolutely love it! I can't speak to it's durability over the long haul, but it is the most comfortable and best fitting suit I've ever tried.

I have not heard of anyone using this for their rentals. It may not be a tough enough suit and wear long enough to keep them looking new for a good return on investment as a rental. This is purely speculation on my part.

Christian

tatonkadive:
Hey kids!

"Those that dive with either the Hyperstretch or the Gold Core stuff, what do you dive in (suit type and thickness) and how do you like it? Does anyone dive with the Gold Core 5mm gloves...and are they warm enough, or do you recommend going thicker (I'd like to retain some finger mobility)?"

I did a Channels trip (I'm usually NorCal) in late October. I tolerate cold well, but I regularly swapped out my 3 mm Body Glove gloves and a pair of 1 mm neoprene backed, leather palmed (get them lobsters!!) gloves. The second set could get a little chilly at times, but the 3 mm were fine.

My first pair of gloves were 7mm. I HATED them. I could barely put my mask on. Right now, if I'm feeling a little more cold-intolerant than usual, I use the Henderson hyperstretch 5mm gloves. They weren't as 'fitted' as I expected (dad sent them to me, so couldn't try them on), but still manage to be good gloves when you need a thick glove. They also allow a lot of mobility at the joints.

I haven't tried on the hyperstretch wetsuit, though I'm probably going to head out to Rancho sometime to do it. I LOVE my hyperstretch boots. They're zipperless, and the only ones that will fit my calf size with my shoe size. Good for crawdadding too. I'm not thrilled with normal fitting wetsuits (calves problem). Though I'm guessing they'll be a small fortune, I'm waiting for those nice looking Henderson Insta-Dry 7 mils to come out next year if the Aquaseal holding my current wetsuit together holds out.

Two things I've heard about the standard hyperstretch: they pil easily, so keep them away from concrete and velcro, and they take forever to dry.

I have both a 3mm and a 7mm hyperstretch. And love 'em both. I'm not exactly what you call a rack fit, and the stock XL fits great. I've had the 7mm for about 2.5 years.

Read all the posts about the Henderson's, and the pilling problems. I hear they have come out this year with a quick dry hyperstretch, but don't know anything about it, except it's expensive.

For SoCal, when I dive wet, the 7mm works fine. Unless the water temps are over 62, I also wear a Henderson 5/3 hooded vest. I use 3mm or 5mm gloves, depending on temps. I've been told, and read, that the Hyperstretch does compress a bit more at depth, so may not provide as much warmth as others, but I have no comparison. I used the 3mm for the last two weeks in the Socorro Islands - water temps from about 77-82, and it was perfect. No gloves, no hood.

But, I also switched about one year ago to a dry suit. I found that in the winter months, with temps in the low 50's, I got cold too fast, and was wimping out on the 3rd or 4th dive of the day. If you are the type that gets cold easily, and want to dive year round, consider going straight to a dry suit.

Thanks guys! Your opinoins and the links definitely help, and I certainly welcome more opinons as I try to decide.

Today I tried on the the Xcel Quad-Density Polar Titanium and it fit like butter darling! Much better and easier than the Tri-Density that I tired on the other day, which I thought was really odd. Anyway, so now it's down to a shoot-out between a single Xcel Quad suit or the combo of the Henderson Hyperstretch 7/5 Full + 3/5 Hooded Vest.

I'd probably be more comfortable in colder months in the Xcel and looks like it would wear better over the years, but the Henderson is probably a more versatile set-up. Regardless I think that I'm going with Henderson 5mm Gold Core Gloves and Booties. It's good to have options...too bad each suit set-up runs roughly $350. I guess there are worse injustices in the world though and both are top quality.

Might want to try the ScubaPro Everflex, as well, it doesn't compress as much at depth as the Henderson.

Back
Top Bottom