Gear package...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spg01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at a package from a local shop

Zeagle Ranger BC
SP MK25/G250
psi/compass console
SP Air2
AL 80 tank
------------
About $1420

I was thinking of changing the reg to either an Apex XTX50 or the SP MK25/S600. (Any suggestions?)

I also want to ditch the Air2 and go with an Octo. (should make package a little cheaper)

I will dive mostly Southern California and someday will go towards wreck diving. I will most likely get a 1 one piece 7mm custom suit ~$360.

Any thoughts??

Zeagle Ranger BC, SP MK25/G250, psi/compass console, SP Air2, AL 80 tank, about $1420
Reasonable package. Why go with an AL tank? You will be diving thick neoprene. Why not add weight through a steel tank?
I was thinking of changing the reg to either an Apex XTX50 or the SP MK25/S600. (Any suggestions?)
Why are you considering alternatives? Nothing wrong with the Mk25/G250. Just curious.
I also want to ditch the Air2 and go with an Octo. (should make package a little cheaper)
Even if it made it slightly more expensive, I would do it.
I will most likely get a 1 one piece 7mm custom suit ~$360.
Why not go with a drysuit now, rather than spending money on a 7mm?

The aluminum tank was just part of the package. The diver I was with actually mentioned upgrading to a steel tank instead. I was just thinking the aluminum is 1/2 the price of a steel.

The SP MK25/S600 was also recommended as an upgrade. But I liked the bigger bubble diffuser on the XTX50.

They tried making a point that the Air2 was an awesome part of the package. But I'll still go with an octo.

The wetsuit.... I am just starting out and so far I am fine with a wetsuit. That and I know nothing about dry suits. I did a quick search and "most" dry suits I saw were four times the money. I would have to research it more, and I am having enough fun just looking for a BC and Reg.

And to confuse things more for me the shop where I took lessons is showing me some Tusa Back inflates and Sherwood regs. So I guess I will be trying to search the forums on info about them.
(Sorry I am not as good using the quotes as you are :D )

The aluminum tank was just part of the package. The diver I was with actually mentioned upgrading to a steel tank instead. I was just thinking the aluminum is 1/2 the price of a steel.
Steel is definitely more expensive. It may be worth the extra cost to consider a slightly larger HP steel tank (e.g. a 100cf). A little more gas, more weight on your back rather than your waist, etc.
The SP MK25/S600 was also recommended as an upgrade. But I liked the bigger bubble diffuser on the XTX50.
The XTX50 is a very nice reg. I better understand your thinking.
They tried making a point that the Air2 was an awesome part of the package. But I'll still go with an octo.
Good for you. Awesome is not a word that ever crosses my mind with regard to the Air2 or similar combination inflators. I don't think it adds value to the package - probably detracts from it.
The wetsuit.... I am just starting out and so far I am fine with a wetsuit. That and I know nothing about dry suits. I did a quick search and "most" dry suits I saw were four times the money. I would have to research it more, and I am having enough fun just looking for a BC and Reg.
Fair enough. Certainly, the drysuit is substantially more expensive. As experience grows, and funding permits, you may want to continue to evaluate drysuits. For colder waters (for me, that is now anything less than 73 degrees), a drysuit is a wonderful thing.
And to confuse things more for me the shop where I took lessons is showing me some Tusa Back inflates and Sherwood regs. So I guess I will be trying to search the forums on info about them.
Ah, a little competition can be a good thing, for you as the buyer. Sherwood regs are very solid. I would be less inclined to move from Zeagle to TUSA, but that is a personal bias. Since you are looking at back-inflates, any reason not to look at a BP/wing?

I will dive mostly Southern California and someday will go towards wreck diving. I will most likely get a 1 one piece 7mm custom suit ~$360

Since you likely will want to look a drysuits one day if you get serious about wreck diving, maybe you should consider a more affordable non custom wet suit for now. Unless you have really unusual proportions, it shouldn't be hard to find a suit for a couple of hundred bucks that fits you well.

Also, do you really only need one tank. Normally folks do more than one dive in a day which means they need at least two tanks. If you are getting an AL80 with the package you will likely want to get an additional AL80.

I have thought a little about a BP/Wing. I guess the bigest thing would be getting to try one. The shop owner trying to sell the Tusa BC and Sherwood reg is going to let me borrow his Tusa BC next weekend to try it out. Then at the end of the month I plan on taking a boat trip with the other shop and trying the Zeagle BC, I am not sure if they will let me demo the regs though. I still have to check on that.

I agree I will probably want two tanks, but I am more worried about BC/Reg configurations at the moment. I should probably just sit back and wait a bit, but it is hard with all the new toys (gear) out there.

Zeagle Ranger BC
SP MK25/G250
psi/compass console
SP Air2
AL 80 tank
------------
About $1420

I will dive mostly Southern California and someday will go towards wreck diving. I will most likely get a 1 one piece 7mm custom suit ~$360.

Any thoughts??

I would go for the MK17/G250 over the mk25 and it will save you some money also. Better for cooler waters

Do you really need a tank? The cost of rental is so low that it takes a long time to save the money from buying. That's probably a good deal, don't know much about the regs, but the Ranger could easily be almost half the cost of the package.

Back
Top Bottom