Gear of the Future....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

many would seem to take much of the the fun and the point of diving away. If you're commercial or military, or are doing a dive where one of these toys has a real and specific benefit that makes the dive possible, that's another matter.

Not crazy about UW communication gear becoming more common - while I'll grant it would be handy on occasion, and maybe safety feature, I kind of like the silence. I forsee a rule "anyone who jabbers too much about stupid stuff owes a 6 pack."

I'd hate to see what happens to some people reliant on a automatic BC (or some of this other stuff) when it fails...

I like to swim. I like the challenge of finding the boat using navigation skills. I like getting wet. (What I want is a comfy magic 1mm wetsuit that keeps me warm in 50F and dries in 10 minutes!)

Damselfish once bubbled...
(What I want is a comfy magic 1mm wetsuit that keeps me warm in 50F and dries in 10 minutes!)

As soon as you find it, put me down for an XL-tall!

I would definately love a HUD. I always feel like I am going to miss something when I look down to check my levels.

I remember when I was a kid in the 70's they all said by the year 2000 everybody would have their own little spaceship/hovercraft thingy for buzzing around town in and we'd have colonies on Mars and...well you get the idea... :wink:

Dear SCUBA BOARD Readers:

There were some interesting topics in the Rodale's article. As is so often true, what we imagine and what will be is often very different. As Arthur C. Clark once said, “The future isn’t what it used to be.”

Certainly the writer of the article was proposing all that came to mind in an effort to produce a very interesting piece. How successful alternatives might be was not a part of the story.

Gills :scuba:

The problem with gills is that, in the wild, gill breathers are cold blooded. That is, their oxygen consumption is quite low. When you become warm blooded, it requires a lot of energy (and oxygen) to produce that heat. Warm blood sea creatures, e.g., whales, are air breathers. The oxygen content is much higher than in water (forty times higher in air) than in water. It would require flushing a considerable amount of water with its contained oxygen over the gills to supply a warm-blooded diver.

One would no doubt find that it would be much easier to simply take gas with them. In fact, I have little doubt that CCR will improve to a much greater extent than gills, which would be large and cumbersome.

Nanobots

The nanobots that scarf up nitrogen bubbles in the blood stream would be of value if those bubbles had anything to do with DCS. The bubbles responsible for “the bends” and spinal cord problems are most assuredly outside of the circulatory system. Arterial gas embolism is another story but assuredly better treated by repressurization. I would suspect that portable chambers would appear before these nanobots.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :grad:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

with gadgets that help improve the health of the marine environment so that there will continue to be something to see once you get in the water.

Zooming around with HUDs and turbine-powered leggings sounds really 'gee whiz,' but if the oceans are sterile, who'd want to go diving anyway.

First thing to develop is a 'smart' mine that locates and detonates beneath any vessel used for shark finning...

carbon fiber tanks at 4300 psi. Almost twice the air in a 80cf. Commercial outfits are already using them here in Canada. I want one or two...and when they catch on the price will come down. But still as a gas source...worth every penny and they are still cheaper than CCR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom