Gear Jam (warning- Dork Diver thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoyN:
EDIT: HAHAHAH!!! YOU'LL NEVER KNOW WHAT WAS IN HERE LETTERBOY!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!! *evil laugh*

Some serious stuff though: I'm praying for your safety and safe return home Letterboy! :)

:rofl3: Good recovery :wink:

Gear?? :huh: Whats that :wink:

Ok on the topic of gear...I hope this is within the the confines of this thread, but I will risk it. I was in Key Largo and rented a camera from Ocean Divers (great people). We made it through the first dive ok...but the second was the Benwood wreck and the battery died...so I am swimming along, and since the camera didnt work anymore I have forgotten it's existence until I realized I no longer had it in my hands! I flew around the wreck, looking for it everywhere, when I decided to surface to see if anyone had turned it in to the boat per chance...didn't realize cameras were positive and would float to the surface...the DM pointed it out to me floating about 30 feet away and I saved 564 dollars...I still am unsure how it got away from me...oh I know it is cuz I am a huge :dork2:

Ok on the topic of gear...I hope this is within the the confines of this thread, but I will risk it. I was in Key Largo and rented a camera from Ocean Divers (great people). We made it through the first dive ok...but the second was the Benwood wreck and the battery died...so I am swimming along, and since the camera didnt work anymore I have forgotten it's existence until I realized I no longer had it in my hands! I flew around the wreck, looking for it everywhere, when I decided to surface to see if anyone had turned it in to the boat per chance...didn't realize cameras were positive and would float to the surface...the DM pointed it out to me floating about 30 feet away and I saved 564 dollars...I still am unsure how it got away from me...oh I know it is cuz I am a huge :dork2:
reminds me of a time ...

---------- Post added October 3rd, 2015 at 06:03 PM ----------

OK. OK. If you insist! :D
Here is what happened. My dive buddy, Mait (an Estonian), was on his first trip to America to, well, dive! He asked me to go along on the trip to show him around and I reluctantly agreed. I mean, oh bother, 3 weeks of running around the USA diving!?? Dirty job, but SOMEONE's got to do it!!!

First, we flew into Chicago and drove to Gilboa quarry to test some new dork diver gear that we had purchased and that was waiting for us.
As soon as we de-gassed we flew to San Diego to hit wreck alley.
Then went to Coronado in Mexico.

Next we flew to Florida. We were supposed to land at 11:00 pm in Miami and drive to Homestead, get a few winks and be on the dive boat in Key Largo at 08:00 next day. Not super, but definitely doable.
We were a bit tired from the travel and diving, but, well, we thought that we would manage.

Unfortunately, American Airlines had not been figured into the mix.
Delays, delays, and more delays. We finally managed to get to the Miami airport around 2:30-3:00 am., got the rental car and drove to Homestead for the night, I mean the NAP!
Got in abut 04:00 am!!!!
Got up in a few hours and blearly-eyed drove to Key Largo.

We were dozing on the short hop to the wreck and stumbled into our gear.
As we shuffled to the rear of the boat, the dive master asked me (as I was fixing to splash), "Don't you think a mask would be a good idea???" :confused:
"Oh, yeah, thanks occifer, I mean officer."
"Aahhh, I'm the dive master." :shakehead:
"Oh yeah, O.K." :blush:
"And, aahh, maybe fins??" :shakehead:
"Oh sure. Thanks again..." Splash (with camera clutched in my hands)

Now, I dive with a camera often and always keep it secured to my chest harness with a clip that I can release if necessary. Often, I let go of the camera and since it is secured, I don't worry about it.
This time, I forgot to clip it on! Next thing I know, the diver that splashed behind me asked, "Hey, do you want this??" (Showing me MY camera that the current had brought right to him!)
(Flash to the boat crew) Face palms and muttering, "Their going to die!" :facepalm:

It is amazing how hitting a wreck at 90 feet can revitalize!!!
We survived to dive another day!!!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom