Gear is on order ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicodaemos

Reaction score
Okay, I've finally gotten approval from the boss (she sorta said yes) to order gear. Here's a list of things I'm getting and why. I hope it helps other newbies learn more about gear options.

1. Cressi Archimede dive computer

I wanted something that had an easy to view display, had a trusted bubble model and easy to use interface. I've already used this computer on 3 dives and like it a lot. It is very easy to read underwater, in fact my buddy was glancing at it several times during the dive without me even knowing. It was a tossup between this one and the Suunto Vyper .... had I had the choice all over again, though, I might have leaned a little more towards the Vyper for having a gauge mode.

2. Halcyon stainless steel backplate and 27lb Pioneer wing

I've been diving bcd's for most of my dives until now. I've hated them ... they don't fit me well. Either the bcd is too big and I'm swimming in it or it's too small and the waistband is keeping me from breathing fully. Aquamaniac was nice enough to loan me a Zeagle Ranger backinflate .... it was wonderful! A night and day difference over the other bcds. I liked the backinflate on the surface, simply lean back as if you're sitting in a floating lazy boy and kick away.

So why am I going with the backplate over a Ranger? I'm a minimalist and I like the simple lines of a backplate and wings. I wanted to get some of the weight off of my weight belt and nearer to my center of buoyancy. I like the fact that over time I will only have to replace the webbing. Will I like it? Will it work for me? I don't know, I'm going a little out on a limb here based on the suggestions from some of the senior divers on this board .... that plus Extreme Exposure is the only one offering me a 30 day money back guaranty on the rig! What have I got to lose?

If I like backplates and wings then I may purchase future bp's from FredT. He's got some good prices, anecdotally people seem to like his work and he's good about answering your questions. But like I said, EE's return policy swayed me on this decision.

3. Apeks ATX50 reg on a 5' hose with ATX40 octo on necklace

When I first learned about the Hogarthian style of donating your primary reg I was a little skeptical of the practice. Take a working reg out of my mouth?!? Well after doing some dives and seeing how this is set up, I'm beginning to see that this makes more sense than what PADI taught me about donating the octo. I chose the Apeks because they seem to be one of the brands most respected by the senior divers and they're inexpensive compared to others with similar performance. To me this means that they have a strong history of producing battle tested equipment and also that it should be easier to find lds's to service them. I'm buying them online so I have to forgo the warranty.

I'm still very new to scuba and don't know where I might be headed with it. Right now I'm following a modified Hogarthian style but who knows about the future.

Getting the gear is good, but it's not going to improve my diving any until I learn how to use it properly. I'll keep you posted how things are working out. Thank you all for your comments and critiques ... I've learned so much more about diving by simply lurking in on discussions than I ever would have imagined.

See you in the water,
- Nico

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom