Gear for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LordElrond

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,
I'm going to buy my first set of gear after certification... I have no special needs, but I want a reliable and if possible pleasing to the eye kit, so I have some question:

During my OW I used an Halcyon BP/W with Halcyon piston reg set... thing is that I hate the blue H on my gear.

I have already bought Mares Power Plana fins and a Scubapro Frameless 2 mask.
Following my instructor suggestion to buy BCD and reg set first since they are "the heart of the system" and I would be able to take them along me when traveling I thought to assemble a BCD with:
Dive Rite ss backplate
Dive Rite deluxe harness (without quick release)
Apeks 32 lb wing (PSD version since is like 30 euros more and seems to be more rugged and quicker to dry)
Xdeep weight pockets

Halcyon smb and spool - reading online they seems to be the best, even if pricey.

Scubatec reg set - they are highly recommended in Italy. I think they are some sort of Italian built Apeks clone. I'd buy the F60 diaphragm first stage and two FX3 second stages.

My doubts are:
- the Deluxe harness is not DIR compliant, but I love having a chest strap when I wear a backpack and it does not cost a lot more. In case I don't like it I can easily buy a few meters of webbing, reuse the d-rings and thread myself a new harness for cheap, so I thought to give it a try.
Has someone used it and is willing to report his opinion?
- It seems that the Dive Rite backplate can be used without a STA if coupled to a single tank. Can it be done without tank stability issues?
- Are weight pocket a viable alternative to a weight belt? I did not love it when I had to put it on. I was using 6kg (13 lb) with drysuit, SS backplate and 12-15l. I expect to shed a kilo of weight when I'll be better... With no air in my wing at 3m I had trouble holding my stop, but I think that I didn't dump correctly all the air from my feet and lower legs when ascending.
- Knowing that MiFlex hoses have to be checked against failure of the internal tube and must be stored straight, are they usable instead of rubber ones? I like them better than rubber ones, and I would like to use them for all applications apart from the long hose.
- What computer do you suggest? We won't do deco till Rec3 (2019, maybe 2018) and it is our understanding that "by the book" computer are used in gauge mode as bottom timers, like during our course. I'm intrigued by the idea of having air integration and seeing both my pressure and my gf's on my wrist. Can the compass integrated in a dive computer be used instead of an external one?

I did a great deal of reading here since I considered diving (this forum is invaluable), and I'll be pleased to hear your expert advice :wink:
Thank you

PS: Is an analyzer available in most/every diving that does nitrox fills or is expected that divers bring their own?

Last edited:
i would argue that getting a wrist dive computer is more useful early on as if you travel while diving, that is usually harder to rent than a bc and regs. digital compasses work fine, but generally cost quite a bit to find on a dive computer. a basic computer that does nitrox and gauge mode should be 200 or less and really all you need until you want to step up to a shearwater or ostc.

a chest strap is not really necessary, you should try a continuous harness first before spending extra money on a deluxe harness. same with the weight pockets, you may be better served with a weighted sta or trim weight pockets on the tank instead. weight pockets have the same issue as with belts in that it is not always the correct position for your ballast. especially if you then end up using both pockets and a belt to get enough ballast.

not familiar with the scubatec regs, but if service and parts aren't an issue, then they look to be ok.

Hello,
I'm going to buy my first set of gear after certification... I have no special needs, but I want a reliable and if possible pleasing to the eye kit, so I have some question:

During my OW I used an Halcyon BP/W with Halcyon piston reg set... thing is that I hate the blue H on my gear.

I have already bought Mares Power Plana fins and a Scubapro Frameless 2 mask.
Following my instructor suggestion to buy BCD and reg set first since they are "the heart of the system" and I would be able to take them along me when traveling I thought to assemble a BCD with:
Dive Rite ss backplate
Dive Rite deluxe harness (without quick release)
Apeks 32 lb wing (PSD version since is like 30 euros more and seems to be more rugged and quicker to dry)
Xdeep weight pockets

Nothing wrong with that. I don't like my weight pockets very much but it's better than having all your weight on the weightbelt when you're travelling. YMMV

Halcyon smb and spool - reading online they seems to be the best, even if pricey.

I don't see a particular need to spend more than you have to on a DSMB. There are lots of good ones on the market for about 1/2 the price. It's not a big ticket item though so if you really like it then aside from the price there's nothing wrong with them.

- the Deluxe harness is not DIR compliant, but I love having a chest strap when I wear a backpack and it does not cost a lot more. In case I don't like it I can easily buy a few meters of webbing, reuse the d-rings and thread myself a new harness for cheap, so I thought to give it a try.
Well.... I'm personally a fan of the basic harness because it's a single strip of webbing. In my experience I've never missed a chest strap even when wearing doubles with stages on both sides. This looks like another case of paying more money for something that's less good.

- Are weight pocket a viable alternative to a weight belt? I did not love it when I had to put it on. I was using 6kg (13 lb) with drysuit, SS backplate and 12-15l. I expect to shed a kilo of weight when I'll be better... With no air in my wing at 3m I had trouble holding my stop, but I think that I didn't dump correctly all the air from my feet and lower legs when ascending.

Yeah... as long as you don't have stages hanging on your waist strap then the pockets are viable. For travelling and/or diving without stages it's ok. I find them necessary while travelling because after a week of intensive diving having all the weights on the weight belt starts to hurt. I view it as a necessary evil.

- Knowing that MiFlex hoses have to be checked against failure of the internal tube and must be stored straight, are they usable instead of rubber ones? I like them better than rubber ones, and I would like to use them for all applications apart from the long hose.

I use them and I like them. They're probably not DIR compliant but I don't really care. I have them on my secondary and my inflator. They've been around long enough now that if there were major issues with them we would have heard about it. Naturally, just like all hoses you need to inspect them regularly and replace them when they're worn.

- What computer do you suggest? We won't do deco till Rec3 (2019, maybe 2018) and it is our understanding that "by the book" computer are used in gauge mode as bottom timers, like during our course. I'm intrigued by the idea of having air integration and seeing both my pressure and my gf's on my wrist. Can the compass integrated in a dive computer be used instead of an external one?
I don't think there is a computer that wil show you both your pressure and your buddy's, is there?

I'm not sure I'd want all that information on my screen either. A simple uncluttered display is best, imo. If you're looking into getting into technical diving on the short term then you might want a computer that allows for gas changes and multiple gasses that you can swtich under water. I like the (o)LED screens because you don't have to shine your light on it to see it in low-light conditions. They're more expensive but it frees up a hand during ascents, which I like a lot. It think it's worth the extra money. YMMV.

In any event do not buy an RGBM or VPM computer. The algorithms aren't as good as Buhlmann with gradient factors.

PS: Is an analyzer available in most/every diving that does nitrox fills or is expected that divers bring their own?
Every fill station will have one but I make it a habit to check it twice with two different analyzers. Once when I fill it and once just before I go diving. Batteries and oxygen cells do wear out and faulty readings do happen. I once saw a trimix analyzer give a massively incorrect reading because of low batteries but with no low-battery warning.....

R..

i think the new liquivision one and the suunto eon steel handle multiple transmitters so that you could track your buddies air, but the price tag is steep to do so

Concerning the computer I thought to search a used Galileo... I would use it as a time/depth gauge and logging tool, and when the need will arise sell it at an acceptable loss.

For the pockets I don't know. They would be for single tank use only, since as soon as I put my hand on a twinset I will use v-weight or similar. I thought to buy them since I didn't like a weight belt on my hips.
I don't see myself doing real tech diving or using more than one deco bottle for the next 40 years =D

Any experiences about single tank without adapter threading the cam straps on the backplate?

I have a Galileo Luna, and I can verify for you that the display isn't overly busy and that seeing buddy air pressure is a cool feature. It's very user friendly too, so I don't think you could go wrong if you went that route.

Just get a standard harness. When I bought my first bp/w, I bought a "deluxe harness". It lasted one dive before I went out and bought some webbing.
Rec 3 is a fantastic course btw.

Just get a standard harness. When I bought my first bp/w, I bought a "deluxe harness". It lasted one dive before I went out and bought some webbing.
I would agree with regards to the harness - the only time I think a "deluxe" harness is better is if the user has a shoulder/mobility issue that affects donning and doffing the kit.

I'm another advocate for a standard harness. If you have the crotch strap adjusted correctly you don't need to have the shoulder straps tight, much less have the need for a chest strap. This is coming from someone who also started out with a "comfort harness".

I've never dove with AI computer, but to be honest with you I'd rather just rely on my SPG. Maybe it's because I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and I like mechanical gauges. I don't trust those electrical systems and their black magic wireless systems :wink:

I have a Galileo Luna, and I can verify for you that the display isn't overly busy and that seeing buddy air pressure is a cool feature. It's very user friendly too, so I don't think you could go wrong if you went that route.

I'll see if I can get one in good shape (I'm anal about gear manteinance in every hobby)

I'll take my time to reach Rec3, I'll do it in a few years, when my skills and experience are up to par... I think too that it will be a good course, and it will open up almost every site commonly dived by operators here. I am very satisfied of my OW, expensive but worth every cent, and I think that a more advanced course of the same ilk will be the same fun and challenge, only "on steroids". What I want to do as soon as possible is Rec2: here the sea is quite deep and diving spots accessible with OW certs are very limited, where with a simple AOW the selection expands immensely.

I'm another advocate for a standard harness. If you have the crotch strap adjusted correctly you don't need to have the shoulder straps tight, much less have the need for a chest strap. This is coming from someone who also started out with a "comfort harness".

I've never dove with AI computer, but to be honest with you I'd rather just rely on my SPG. Maybe it's because I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and I like mechanical gauges. I don't trust those electrical systems and their black magic wireless systems :wink:

Ok, I'll buy a normal continuous webbing. Actually we were told that when in diving position it's the waist strap that keeps the rig in place... I thought that a chest strap would have helped, so I was going to buy a different harness.

Btw, I'm a mechanical engineer too =D

Back
Top Bottom