Gear dependancy and additional training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is nothing new under the sun :)

Hrm, I already made it smaller once. Try refreshing. The first time I uploaded it, it was like 2000 pixels wide. Now it fits on my screen (so it's less than 1280 pixels wide).
My screen is only 1024 pixels wide (and 768 pixels tall). An image size of no more than 800x600 pixels would be reasonable :)

DIR is less about gear choices than it is about the concept of "predictable behavior". If you want to make comparisons between DIR and driving, you should focus less on the car and more on the rules of the road
But the rules of the road don't specify that everyone is driving the same type of car, with the same equipment, configured in the same way. There is plenty of room for variation.

The OP was about gear choices and dependency, not predictable behavior. Ergo, with respect to DIR, I was addressing the requirements concerning gear, not the goal of generating predictable behavior.

I like this video a little better. Especially around the 1:45 mark. I'll just let the video talk for me from now on. No point in trying to reason with a brick wall.

YouTube - WKPP Chip's Hole Exploration, 1996-2006

Tom

Dude makes record-breaking dives towing 3 scooters and 5 bottles, spending over a day in the water, and we sit here on SB performing a frame by frame critique on the degree of his trim from a youtube video? I really don't know what that says about who, but I'll be the first in line to start trading degrees of my trim for units of his skill :D

My screen is only 1024 pixels wide (and 768 pixels tall). An image size of no more than 800x600 pixels would be reasonable :)

Just be glad you didn't see the first one :D

Apparently I'm a bit late with this post, but I believe that while a proficient diver should be able to dive comfortably and competantly in any reasonably well maintained scuba gear, there are certain skills that are inherently gear dependant. If you want to maintain buddy contact with lights, recover objects with a lift bag, mark your position during an open water free ascent, drift dive with a marker, night dive, ice dive, navigate, etc. there is most certainly specialized gear on which you will be dependant.

Do you need specialized gear to have good trim, buoyancy control, or finning technique? You shouldn't, but there are definately gear configurations in which these things are easier.

But the rules of the road don't specify that everyone is driving the same type of car, with the same equipment, configured in the same way. There is plenty of room for variation.
I disagree ... every car on the road has its steering wheel in the same place (and uses a wheel for steering, as opposed to, say, a steering stick). Every car has its gas and brake pedals in the same place and configuration, and its driving controls on the same side of the car.

There is also plenty of room for variation in a DIR configuration ... but not in how the fundamental operating gear is placed and configured. Just like a car.

The OP was about gear choices and dependency, not predictable behavior. Ergo, with respect to DIR, I was addressing the requirements concerning gear, not the goal of generating predictable behavior.
The OP had nothing whatsoever to do with DIR. Not sure why it's even part of this discussion. It does get a little tiring to hear people who are completely ignorant of a subject keep bringing it up, though ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom