Gear Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterdogs

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend suggestions on gear bags for travel?

Here's what we currently traveled with this week to the key's and there just isnt' enough room.

Bag - (armor roller backpack)
2 sets fins
2 regulators (in apexs bags)
snorkels
mask (2)
knives (2)
wetsuits (2)
boots (2-sets)

Duffle - (TO DARN SMALL)
BC's (2)
that's it.

We would like to have a duffle which could handle our BC's and additional gear (i.e.clothes or other items) Ive looked at Akonas duffle but need feedback from travelers or other suggestions.

We are going to St.John for 10 day's and will either have room for clothes or dive equipment with our current configuration.

HELP.

What do you couples travel with???

waterdogs.

I went to the Bon Marche (regional department store) and bought a HUGE suitcase. It was $209. I literally took a tape measure and measured them all to find the largest one. It is very heavy duty. It holds two full sets of gear and our gear is not small. Seaquest pro unlimited, Diva LX etc... There is still room in the thing for a few sets of clothes etc. I even put in two duffles for going on the boat and two extra masks just in case.

My reasons for the suitcase were:

I could not find a dive specific suitcase that I thought was big enough.

Everyone kept saying to get an unmarked dive bag so no one would suspect expensive dive gear. To me even with no tags or badges the fin pockets are a dead give away. Mine is just another oversized suitcase.

Price was comparable or cheaper than most nice dive travel bags.

Finaly I can use it for nondiving if I want.

Spray had some points I never considered. We used to travel with Stahlsac's large case on wheels with the 2 side-pockets. There was enough room for both of our gear. However, that made it so heavy that I could not maneuver it by myself. My husband got to be the hero all the time.

Well, that got stolen from the back of my car. I replaced it with 2 bags from Body GLove, each just big enough to carry 1 person's stuff. The model is called "the bus" due to the tapered shape. Both together were cheaper than 1 stahlsac. And they came with awesom inner bags to hold sopping wet gear. They come with differnt color trim so I can point out whose bag has been left in the middle of the floor.

I use the Akona roller duffle and also have a nonroller Akona duffle and raeg bag. I like them all very much. You don't say what size wetsuit you are taking. I get all my gear including a 5mm wetsuit in the roller. You are allowed two checkin bags now and they are weighing them and charging a surcharge for increased weight, even if it is not divegear.

I would get a set for each of you and hand carry the regs. Another thing with the Akonas is there is no place on the bags that advertizes they are dive bags they say adventure gear, and no fin pockets are noticable.

Good luck & Good Diving

chuckrt

Chuckrt,

You got me thinking about the weight issue. I don't pack my weights, but everything else for my wife and gets packed in the bag except computers. So I did some checking on weight restrictions. These are the "free" limits:

NWA 70lbs
Delta 70lbs over 100lbs not allowed at all.
United 70lbs
American 70lbs
Cont. 70lbs

All of the above except NWA listed 62 linear inches as the max size. Delta was the only one that listed scuba specificly. They want $80 to transport any dive gear. Not just tanks. I think that's a bit dumb. Why do they care what's in my suitcase as long as it is not dangerous or illegal.

I have not weighed my bag but I should be under 70lbs since I don't take weights. I'm going to be close on the 62" I'll measure it when I get back home. I hope that a major luggage manufacturer wouldn't make a bag that would be to big to use.

To the person that said one bag can get heavy and hard to manage.... True, but under 70lbs shouldn't be to bad. A little heavy for some to lift, but being the anal researcher I am I loaded all of our gear and walked the house inside and out, a few stairs, a touch of gravel etc just to make sure I could easily pull it.

hi spray25,

Just got home from work rather have dived today. Continental will also charge extra if they no you have dive gear. I use both the roller and duffle to split up the weight and put clothes in both. Don't no if it works by fooling anyone but lucky so far.

Good Luck
chuckrt

I just was on Contiental to Cozumel.

Dive Bag was marked as a "Mares: Just Add Water."

Bag was under 70# with 7 days of T-shirts & shorts + gear.

No extra charge.

One family we saw went to K-mart and bought plastic foot lockers for under $30 each and then put a padlock on it and a luggage strap (different color for each member of the house).
They didn't have wheels, but they said they would pick up one end and drag it where needed. The plastic got scuffed, but for <$30 each they said they could afford to replace them when needed.

We use REI Rover Travel Packs http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=8000&prrfnbr=411463

The cute little frog on the bags made for SCUBA said to me “steal me I have expensive SCUBA inside.” My REI back says “watch out I’m full of dirty underwear from camping!” It has a handle and wheels but also straps so it can work as a backpack in a pinch. You can lock the zippers but I just use ty-wraps to secure it during travel. My philosophy is that a knife that will cut the ty-wrap will also cut right through the side of the bag. The ty-wraps my discourage an opportunistic thief , there’s no way to stop a determined one.

One complete set of gear (less weights and tanks) including a 3 mm wet suit, and a Stahl equipment bag, fits comfortably inside. The front removable pack holds the reg and computer which I remove to carry on the plane. The loaded bag only weighed 40 pounds within the airline 70-pound limit. Hey, still had some weight left over for some clothes in another bag.

Once I get to the location I take the stuff out of the Travel Pack and put it in the Stahl bag to carry on the boat. I think that people that bring big-wheeled monstrosities on the boat are annoying as hell.

Mike

I use a large rolling duffle (not sure the maker - bought it for $18 at a 'luggage sale' at a local hotel.) But first, I pack all my gear (except the regs/guages and wrist mount computer) in a large mesh duffle (30x15x15) I purchased from Leisure Pro for $19.95 - which has a zippered 'pocket' at one end just big enough for my log book. I try to pack things in reverse order in the mesh duffle from how I will put them on. Fins on the bottom, then BC, etc. My regs and depth guage are wrapped in a towel and packed in their own Akona reg bag before going in the rolling duffle. A larger beach towel goes on top of everything for added padding. The computer goes on my wrist (Suunto Mosquito - so it's a nice watch too). There are a couple of outside packets on the rolling duffle - so an extra t-shirt, shorts, underwear etc. go in there. For air travel - I zip-tie the two zippers on the rolling duffle for added security - when I get to the front desk of the hotel - I just ask to borrow a pair of scissors to cut the tie before I head to my room.

When I am headed out to dive - I pull out the beach towel and hang it over one shoulder, hang the reg bag off the other shoulder, pull out the mesh duffle and GO!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom