gear bag suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k so im considering buying a new gear bag and im leaning towards one of the mesh backbacks but i was just wondering if they have enough space to hold an entire set of gear, thanks
Yes, they do--at least for my (tropical) gear. If you have lead on your belt, drape it over a shoulder; everything else will fit in the bag.

If the OP is referring to a bag used to carry gear to and from shore dives or boats, then I recommend this Akona bag from Scubatoys. It is advertised as a backpack, but has a handle that allows it to be carried as a duffel. It opens via drawstring at one end, but also has a full length zipper allowing easy access to the bag, just as you would have with a duffel. It is very heavy duty. In fact, that is my one "complaint," of sorts. If you will be traveling places with very tight luggage weight limits, a lighter (but less durable) bag would be better. Similar bags are sold as XS Scuba and Scubatoys brand name items. I don't know whether they are of construction similar to the Akona.

I have and use a plain unmarked hard sided Samsonite bag. (very TSA friendly)
It rolls along, fully loaded with little effort. (rolls & spins wth 2 finger push)

It weighs 13# empty, and hold 2+ sets of gear
including wetsuits & BCD's less regs/computers.
These I carry on so they are in a different bag.

It is a pink bowling ball bag I proudly call my "man purse".
A name that draws a raised eyebrow at dive events,
but dramatically shortens the argument at ticket counters
and allows me an additional carry-on for flights.
Women carry on their purses right? anyway,
nobody enters into much of an argument,
and what works,works for me.

I take it everywhere, except boat dives.(flights, cruises, & local dives)
for boat dives I preassemble my gear and carry it on with only a dry bag for a towel.

I also keep a plastic tub in vehicle for post dive "wet gear", nothing wet ever goes in the bag.

...to drive to and from diving locations...Rubbermaid Tub
...for travelling on airlines...a roll-on hardcase suitcase of diving gear bag
...for boat charters...Akona Mesh Bag

i see you're from canada...
hockey gear bags are quite popular,and easy to find
rubber lined inside to prevent the wet stuff from getting into your car
assorted different sizes
inexpensive and durable
and everything fits in one bag-not bulky like tupperwear
have fun!
Yaeg

I use a mesh back pack and love it for getting on and off boats to the resort. It carries all my gear and some of my wifes. Bought it in Grand Cayman and have loved it ever since. Now I bought separate fin bags for my wife and I so I can carry the rest of both of our gear in the big bag. Stahlsac Bonaire Mesh Backpack discounts on sale Stahlsac

well thank you all for the input, as far as what i plan to use it for just mostly for carrying it from the resort to a boat or from my house to the local lake, now the decision becomes between duffle or mesh i guess,would this come down to more of a preference or is there a real adavantage to using one over the other? thank you once again for the assistance.

Local diving: Large Tupperware bin from Walmart. <$10

Travel: Cary-on bag. Generic. Goodwill... ~$15

local i use a plastic box , if u got to leave in a hurry u just throw everything in and it doesn't mess up your car , if i fly i used two bags , one small suite case and a backpack for my reg and mask :)

well thank you all for the input, as far as what i plan to use it for just mostly for carrying it from the resort to a boat or from my house to the local lake, now the decision becomes between duffle or mesh i guess,would this come down to more of a preference or is there a real adavantage to using one over the other? thank you once again for the assistance.

When we're not using plastic bins for schlepping gear, I use a mesh backpack; my fiance uses a mesh duffel. In some ways, it boils down to practicalities. My fiance prefers mesh because he feels that gear is laid out better in a mesh duffel. I agree in some respects - my backpack is pretty cozy with a harness, regulator, computer/slate/compass in a mask box; another mask box containing my mask; and a wetsuit plus skin. By contrast, everything has its 'place' in a duffel. That said, I find it hard to schlep my fiance's duffel bag, especially with a big-ass SS plate and a wet 7 mm wetsuit: I'm strong but quite short, so it's a PITA. My backpack, on the other hand, is easy. I also find it really easy to re-stow my dive gear on the boat when en route to the dock: I hang the mesh backpack over a secured tank's valve by the bag's top strap, and start stowing gear quickly without taking up any room on the bench or on the deck. (Very advantageous, since a boat's usually a busy place on the way back to the dock, with equipment and gear all over the place...that's often when gear can get crushed or go flying.) That's harder to do with a duffel, in my experience - in the past, I've had to lay the bag on the boat's bench to re-pack gear - but your milage may vary!

Back
Top Bottom