Gear advice for a Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MobileMike

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to diving and going to start a certification course. After reading through some excellent posts on this board and fin reviews at Scuba Diving Magazine - 18 New Fins, I have narrowed my fin choices to either the Apollo Sports Bio-Fin Pro C-Series or the Atomic Aquatics Smoke on the Water.

1. I will be mainly diving in Southern California. What mm bootie should I be looking at? Any particular brands that anyone can recommend to go with either of these fins?

2. It seems that I am finding lots of variations of the Apollo Sports fin -- some have a Stainless steel fin strap, some do not, some are an XT series, some Atomics are Smoke on the water and some are red reef. Are these all essentially the same?

Thank you for any assistance.

SoCal, will generally be fairly cool water, 55-70F. Which means drysuit to many, but 5-7mm will work as well, depending on personal preference. Your likely going to want 7mm booties, soles will depend on where and what type of diving, rocky entries will need more sole support than a boat. It is really the soles of your boots that change the footpocket size, and you NEED to find the right boot and fit your fin to it.

Yes, the Bio-Fin XT is different than the Bio-Fin, as there is many Atomic Splits as well. I have said this many times and I'll say it again, DO NOT BUY ATOMIC, those stupid panels WILL FALL OUT, if they don't, its because you have used the fins enough, mine lasted about 13 months (~150 dives) and they failed, the Apollo is one piece and will last much longer.

Spring Straps are purely and option for you, they are heavier, can correct trim problems (act like weights on your feet), and most everyone agrees they are easier to use. decide if you want them or not.

and although I don't really want to confuse the issue, but I strongly support ForceFin. for the same price you can get the Original ForceFin ($150) or a couple of dollars more the Pro ForceFin ($220) or even the fin that the Natures Wing Patents (e.g Bio-Fin) was based on Foil Force Fin ($190). These fins easily perform at least as well as the Apollo's, but you'll have better maneuverability, they use a lower kick rate than splits, although still higher than paddles, they feature a unique foot pocket and blade design that allows more efficient power transfer from your thighs vice the calves and hamstrings that other fins use. inturn this keeps you more comfortable and will expirience less cramping (if any), for more info see the ForceFin website and the truth about dive fins, they are smaller and lighter (<3# per PAIR) making them easier to pack and travel with, and of course they are 100% US made

Last edited:
meesier42,

Thanks for the info and the link. I'm thinking I might go with the Apollo, though not positive yet.

1. Is there anyway to buy fins and booties online without trying them on? I start a certification course next week and will be working every day between now and then for around 15-hrs a day and do not think I will be able to make it to a dive shop to try them on. Is this just a bad idea? I wear a size 10 shoe.

2. I am looking at Cressi masks and snorkels. I have the same problem in that I do not have time to try them on over the next week. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks.

I find it is easier to try things on at the shops. Especially mask. They have different size and shape skirts therefore they fit differently. I am assuming you are taking your course at a dive shop. I am assuming they have those there, most do.

Fins and boots are easier to order than masks. Just be sure if you have to return them that you have time.

Mask, Fins, Snorkel, Booties are what most dive shops refer to as "personal gear" , it generally means just that, its personal, it doesn't matter how perfect a mask or fin is for me, it doesn't relate to how well it will fit you. Fins and boots can often be purchased online, as sizing is fairly standard, just find out what size you need.

Mask, well... it doesn't matter what you buy, unless you get lucky you'll probably buy 2-3 before you know what you like. Try to borrow or buy used ones to get through cert, then at least you'll have some idea what doesn't work,

I have never used a Cressi, I have a couple of Oceanics, AquaLungs, and Mares, the Mares fit me best (Demon and X-vision), but I can't even pretend to think it will work for you.

1.) Besides the way it fits, what else should I look for in a mask besides whether it is made of silicone or rubber and the color?

2.) Obviously being new to diving, I do not know if I should get the Apollo Bio Fins with the feeling of extra torque or without it. Does this affect performance either way or is it
simply a matter of how they feel?

Thanks.

I doesn't matter what splits you buy, none of them have any feeling of torque. to go reasonably fast you have to kick really quickly, which is why most people claim they can't go into a current, because the diver can't maintain the high kick rate required to make them go.

mask materials and construction- basically avoid purges, get scuba quality diving mask, I think nearly all mask are silicon these days with glass lenses.

From what I have heard, rubber skirts on masks will seal better than the silicon. That is important for some people, like me, who have an irregularly shaped face. Since I am a really large guy, I find I need the rubber mask. But that is really a preference issue. Also, color can help you see better when you are under. Some lenses have filters that pick up color underwater. If that is important to you, you might consider it.
The most important part of a mask is how it fits and how comfortable you are in it. For example, I like purge valves on masks, but most don't. I dont like the feeling of water on my nose, even a tiny bit, so I like having the purge there. People say they get in your way when you are trying to equalize, but I don't have that problem.
Good luck on your cert and in your diving.

meesier42,

Thanks for the info and the link. I'm thinking I might go with the Apollo, though not positive yet.

1. Is there anyway to buy fins and booties online without trying them on? I start a certification course next week and will be working every day between now and then for around 15-hrs a day and do not think I will be able to make it to a dive shop to try them on. Is this just a bad idea? I wear a size 10 shoe.

2. I am looking at Cressi masks and snorkels. I have the same problem in that I do not have time to try them on over the next week. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks.

Since I am a newbie and I had to go through the same hoops just months before I feel I can take a crack at this.

1. I have tried lots of booties and they always seems to go with the same size shoe that you are using currently. The thing is do you want a hard sole or a soft sole. This makes a factor in the size of the fins you may want to use. For example, if you will use a size 10 soft sole bootie and an XL force fin. But if you want to later purchase a hard sole size 10 bootie and you will have to purchase an XXL force fin.

2. My brother and I purchased the Cressi Mask and snorkel during the summer. The mask doesn't leak. Only mask we found that fits Asians with flat and wide noses. Snorkel is junk, leaks through the purge frequently.

The Tusa Visualtor also works well on asian faces.

Back
Top Bottom