GC Stingray City (overcrowded?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saltywater:
I dove Stingray City a couple of weeks ago but wasn't all that impressed. It was probably my least favorite dive of my week of diving. Perhaps I was there on an off day because we only had about a half dozen semi interested rays visit us. They are beautiful creatures and fun to interact with, but after fifteen minutes or so, I was bored. Other's I talked to that dove SC earlier in the week seemed to have had a more enjoyable experience.

There were 6 of us this time & we had a ball. You mean you didn't have any fun wearing the famous GC Stingray Sombrero? :wink:

SubMariner:
There were 6 of us this time & we had a ball. You mean you didn't have any fun wearing the famous GC Stingray Sombrero? :wink:

Although it's usually a bigger hat size...

<<<<<<<taken at Stingray City. We had a great time. As for the 'taming' of the rays....the tour industry is not responsible for that. Fishing boats used to anchor in the sound to clean their catch and the rays found it to be easy picking, and they've been there ever since

I agree With CJ you have to do the Original Stingray City.. it's less visited BY CRUISE people.. I was at this site about two years ago and I got to sit underwater for close to 50 minutes or more and play with these awesome rays! Half of them were bigger than I! Afterwards we went about 25 more feet, closer to the wall and hung out with Psyco the eel, that was a great time too. Yes these are tamed visits but an experience you will never forget. I was with www.sunsethouse.com for all my excursions and dives, and I will have to say I never came in contact with ANY CRUISE PEOPLE. I was on a boat with about 12 people and that was it! I would say I had about 12-15 rays all over and around me! Be carfeul don't want to get a hickey!! teehee.

Back
Top Bottom