Gauge reader masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mntlblok

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been researching dive masks with built in "readers". I've found that the commonly offered +1.75 works well for me, but they all seem to come with the "readers" portion only down in the bottom of the lenses, rather than with some of the magnification up higher, over by the nose area. I had some custom-built once, using a mirror and marking the spots on the mask through which my eyes peered whilst looking at something up close. That mask worked out well. Unfortunately, it's the one pictured below, and I managed to lose it a couple of weeks ago at the Blue Heron Bridge.

Anyone know of a "gauge reader" mask that has some of the "reader" portion up high, over by the nose? Any manufacturers out there listening to my plea? :D

Attachment 95676

Talk to your LDS. There are several companies that manufacture & install prescription lenses (including bifocals) for masks. Many of these will also put "readers" in a regular glass lens,... bifocal style. These tend to be a little higher than standard "gauge reader" lenses.

I use a SeaVision Gauge Reader mask. The readers are ground into the lens in a position you might find works for you.
The mask is their "Ultra" model, and one of the advantages is it seems to fit a variety of faces (I went through about a dozen masks before finding this one).

I took a picture for you to show the readers (and got lucky, since the flash highlighted the readers in the lens)

P.S. It's a 2.0 diopter, as opposed to the 1.75 you're used to, however, I don't think that would be an issue:

5805539343_dd5f422474_b.jpg

Why dont you dive with contact lenses? Much easier!!!

I've been using the gauge readers for years. They are made for just that, enlarging things you look down for like when you are "reading." They are located near your nose, so when you look to the left, for example, you look thru the magnification panel in the left lense using your right eye, and vise versa. When I went to a RB I had issues reading my left handset, as the vision in my right eye isn't as good as my left. So, SeaVision inserted magnification panels across the entire bottom of both lens, so that I can read my left handsets with my left eye (the full panels allow me to have the entire bottom of both panels magnified). SeaVision are pretty nimble in what they can do, so I'm sure they can do anything you want, but any mask maker can add such things so you might want to get a few prices first. I do suggest keeping the panels for looking ahead as clean as possible, however, and keep any magnification towards the bottom.

Bifocal contacts are not an easy proposition. Its easy to find a solution for distant vision problems, not so much if you need to see the small stuff. I have a real problem reading the settings screen on my camera.

I have tried a couple of guage readers, my problem is that the reader windows are small and very low. If you have even a little bit of water in the mask, they won't work. The stick ons don't stay attached, for me two dives max and they are gone.

I am waiting on a prescription bifocal my dive shop ordered. I hope this will get the job done. It would be great to have it before we leave for Bonaire on the 17th.

The mask i am looking at for purchase is the Deep
See brand Focus or Clarity models. Not cheap, but a really good quality mask.The can be order with a +4 lens.

They are located near your nose, so when you look to the left, for example, you look thru the magnification panel in the left lense using your right eye, and vise versa.

What I meant to say was that..."when you look to the left, for example, you look thru the magnification panel in the "RIGHT" lens using your right eye, and vice versa." Sorry about that.

For a cheaper solution, you can buy "readers" for sunglasses in Walmart for next to nothing. Glue them into your mask instead of your sunglasses and they work great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom