Gators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I have seen Halcyon and OMS gators. They are about $70.00.

There must be another way that is just as effective but less expensive. No duct tape options either please(Bob3!). Best if it is something that can stay on the suit without harming it.

Thanks for the ideas.

hmm.... I remember when I was a kid we had these sock like shin guards that you pulled on. Or maybe you could wrap an ace bandage around your legs. or fashion them out of velcro and gutted two-liter bottles. Be creative :)

-K

2 liter pop bottles!?

How about using old beer cans-And who says they have to be empty? Or I can get some used medical bandages at the hospital and.......

Yes, I wanted creative solutions but how would you feel if some guy asked you if he could be your dive buddy and he arrived with 2 liter bottles attached to his shins? Before I asked to see his C card I would ask if he took his daily meds.

Scubacat, your solution-creative yes, but not practical. And quite frankly not too stylish-even for me. But thanks for thinking of something.

There's got to be an answer-a cheap and not too humiliating answer.

I have seen the gators you mentioned, what are they mainly used for ?

to protect the suit and/or keep air from entering your drysuit legs and causing bouyancy problems?

whats the deal with them ?

Andy

However... that said I know a GUE Tech 2 diver who still uses them...

My solution is a 2" wide velcro wrap at the ankles to keep my feet in tight in my slightly oversized boots...

The way to keep air out of the legs is not to put it in to begin with...

When you have to add *a little* to avoid suit hickies only add *a little*...

On ascent, when you feel your feet and legs just starting to get a little loose dump as much air out as possible...

I'm not sure how well they would work, but they're certainly a lot cheaper.

I've got a set of gators for my breathable fishing waders that *might* work. They are around $30, and use velcro so you can wrap them around your ankles to keep rocks out of your boots.

They *might* work similar to the Halcyon gates at about half the price. I know that there are least two manufacturers of these gators. Any fly-fishing store with Simms waders should have the ones I have, and I believe that Dan Bailey's also has a set.

I've got a set, but I haven't bothered with them since I use heavy Turtle fins and a tank weight at the end of my Al80, which gives me a nice even keel without the need for ankle weights.

Nate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom