Gastric Bypass Surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDon

Contributor
Reaction score
Does any of the docs on the board know if having Gastric Bypass Surgery prevent someone from diving after recovering from the surgery?

But since no one else seems to be up yet - I'll offer my $0.02 worth. I do work in a hospital, and am good friends with the Dietician who is involved with our G-B program.

I'm assuming you wouln't consider diving until you are completely recovered from the surgery, and are back to normal activity levels. The first thing that comes to mind for me would be maintaining your hydration during your dive. Remember that with G-B your intake is severely limited, would you be able to consume enough water pre-dive? I guess it would depend on how long and strenuous a dive you are planning....

I'll be curious to hear what the Doc's have to say. I know this procedure has worked miracles for folks who have exhausted all other methods of losing weight.

Good Luck!
Scuba-sass :)

Hi Scubadon,

You did not tell us why you had the surgery but trust it went well and hope you have a speedy recovery.

I would reinforce all scuba-sass has posted.

Obviously you will need your doctor's confirmation that you have fully recovered form the surgery and are fit to dive particularly if a pre-existing condition remains, such as an ulcer, and you would be wise to be conservative at least to start with.

My only worry is the reduction in the capacity of what is left of your stomach. This will not pose a problem with hydration but it is quite likely that you may have residual problems with gasto-oesophageal reflux allowing stomach acid to migrate to your gullet and thence to the lungs particularly in the head-down position.

This is not really dangerous but it can cause discomfort, coughing, shortness of breath and lead to an aborted dive.

I hope this helps. :doctor:

Actually I haven't had any surgery yet. I am just tossing the idea around in my head.

Thank you for your response I appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom