Gasoline Compressor Hour Meter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterskier1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I am looking to put an hour meter on my compressor to help keep track of time between filter changes and other maintenance. I've found a couple on eBay, and wonder if any of you have any experience with these meters. They require no external power (which I don't have). They have a built-in battery good for around 8 years, and you just wrap a wire around the spark plug wire (inductive pickup). Some sense RPM also, but since this sould be constant, I'm not sure if it's an important feature? Here are a couple links to what I'm looking at. Any comments or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

one meter and another.

Thanks,

-Rick

I think the main issue is how well they hold up to vibration if mounted directly on the compressor frame. You could just keep a log book with number of hours or tanks filled.

That is something I was wondering too. I don't know what others are using, but I have seen (new gasoline compressors) advertised with an hour meter. On the other hand, these are designed for those types of engines, unless the compressor creates a lot more vibration than other engine powered uses (generators, ATVs, etc.). I'm still waiting on Nuvair to send me my oil, so I haven't been able to start mine up yet to see just how much vibration there is.

Those that have gas powered compressors with hour meters, what do you have :confused:

My DIY portable compressors are equipped with Tiny Tach. See the thread MY PORTABLES. The device displays hours and rpm and is foolproof. Anyone who is interested in the health of their machine will want to observe the revs.

Welcome To Tiny-Tach. Small and economical tachometers for gas and diesel engines.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...mix-blending-systems/222334-my-portables.html

Thanks Pesky,

I bought one of these which I believe is made by the same mfgr. Also, thank you for reminding me your "MY PORTABLES" thread. I had browsed it when first posted, but gathered that was not the way to build my own compressor, so kind of forgot about it. But I did buy a SW 4.0 compressor, so your thread is quite applicable now! I wouldn't have noticed the engine hour meter (in fact, I had to search for it) since I'm not that familiar with compressor setups and what is "normal" and what is "additional". I'll look to see if I can mount mine to the two bolts like you did. If you remember the post, the one I got has the filters and check valves located on a separtate "board". I like that configuration, since it lightenes up the compressor/engine assy by having two parts, so it's easier to move around, and it also removes the filter/separator and many fitting off the compressor/engine frame to help isolate much of the vibration. Also, this compressor is direct drive. It's bolted directly to the engine and only the engine is bolted to the frame. I'm not sure who made it originally, but was told he was an Air Force guy who made several of these back in the '90 (I think).

I just got my Nuvair 455 oil in last night, so I'll begin my journey to get this fired up and checked out this weekend.

Yes, I remember. Odd looking but it should work alright. The SW 4 is a tough machine.

Back
Top Bottom