Gas vs Electric in a Garage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LordHavoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I do not know nothing about compressors. Someone in my area is selling a compressor and it is gas. I was looking for a compressor that I can use from my garage. Also load it on my trailer and drive it to dive from remote locations. Gas compressor seemed good because no outlet needed when you are out in the open camping etc. Would it work inside my 2 car garage or would carbon monoxide be a problem in confined area?

With proper venting of the exhaust to outside your garage it shouldn't be a problem. If you do not vent the exhaust directly outside then you run the risk of CO buildup. Even running it with the door open is still risky. One thing to keep in mind when venting is to ensure you're not putting the vent near a living space window or door. Treat the setup like you would a gas generator and follow those protocols.

you would need to get either the motor exhaust or the compressor intake outside, ideally both. Most people with garage gas compressors have them on a dolly and roll them outside.

Remote exhaust is a lot harder than you think. That engine is running hard, the exhaust is hot. Not very warm, really hot. It's not uncommon to see the muffler glowing red hot (hard to see in daylight). This isn't like your mechanic that has a rubber hose over the cars tail pipe while he is working on it. An engine running at idle in a shop is way cooler than one under load. And being you want to keep it mobile, making something that can be detached makes it even more difficult.

Next is the heat. Inside a 2-car garage. Some quick back of the gray matter math shows me you will be dumping about 20,000 Btu of heat load into the garage not counting exhaust heat since I figure you need to get that outside anyway. That is a lot of heat, probably perfect for heating an uninsulated 2-car garage in Minnesota during a polar vortex.

So the answer will still be the same. No, you will not be running this inside your garage. You will be rolling it outside into fresh air and run it in your driveway just like you would in a remote location. Except the neighbors will be annoyed.

So here's been my experience running a small diesel powered compressor for almost the last 2 years from a shop. I set it up near the garage door and have a very large industrial fan blowing the exhaust out (and cooling the compressor). I open the garage door about 4'-5'. I also have an intake hose and will pull clean air from elsewhere.

I keep track of my hours and change filters as necessary.

BUT... diesel engines are very LOUD compared to electric.

If I was at a remote spot I would set the compressor on the ground and throw the intake hose in the bed of the truck or on top of the truck. Really not as big of a deal as I thought. Common sense, draw air from into the wind and it's been fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom