Gas Colors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the Trimix colors should be green, yellow, and white. Green is associated with oxygen, so I think of oxygen when I see green. Yellow doesn't really bring to mind nitrogen, but since green and yellow are the nitrox colors, that's already established. Why white for hydrogen? Well, hydrogen is light, it's the first element, so it's really simple; there's not much to it, so absence of color seems to make sense.

I vote for green, yellow, and white.

So, forget about the flags and stuff for a few . . .

Do we NEED a tank coloration for trimix? It 'seems' to make sense, but I don't have the knowledge for such things.

If you dive trimix, do you put your gases in a Nitrox tank? Or in a regular tank? Is there special requirements on trimix like there are for Nitrox? (like, specially clean tanks and O-rings?)

If there are special requirements, then it 'seems' sensible to come up with a trimix tank color -- maybe yellow / green / blue? (Don't like the idea of red . . . shouts danger).

Again, all 'seems' . . . because what 'seems' like a good idea doesn't always stand up under close, scientific scrutiny.

I just use a regular old tank with a piece of tape on it with the mix. Nobody is going to touch my tanks.

Stickers just need to be removed when it's time to VIP the tank anyway. Why should I waste money on a sticker?

I think the Trimix colors should be green, yellow, and white. Green is associated with oxygen, so I think of oxygen when I see green. Yellow doesn't really bring to mind nitrogen, but since green and yellow are the nitrox colors, that's already established. Why white for hydrogen? Well, hydrogen is light, it's the first element, so it's really simple; there's not much to it, so absence of color seems to make sense.

I vote for green, yellow, and white.

Trimix is a mixture of Oxygen, Nitrogen and Helium, which typically comes in brown cylinders. If I was going to make a flag to represent trimix, it would contain brown.

as Cave Diver said Trimix is with Helium not Hydrogen, Hydrogen or so Ive heard is only viable for breathing at EXTREME depths approaching 1000 ft or so (just heard this so not sure its true but have heard it a couple times at least)

Trimix is a mixture of Oxygen, Nitrogen and Helium, which typically comes in brown cylinders. If I was going to make a flag to represent trimix, it would contain brown.

Uh, yeah, helium! Well, then, maybe it shouldn't be white, but more of an off-white.

as Cave Diver said Trimix is with Helium not Hydrogen, Hydrogen or so Ive heard is only viable for breathing at EXTREME depths approaching 1000 ft or so (just heard this so not sure its true but have heard it a couple times at least)

Hydrogen is only usable at extreme depths because it has an unfortunate reaction with O2 at the percentages associated with shallower depths.

Thank you so much for deleting my post;
I was only telling the truth.
Talk about you basic form of censorship. I guess it’s ok for others to post **** on my thread, but when it comes time for a response I get edited..
As your own statement clearly reads (Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.)
I guess in your world, pictures of girls in bikinis are not off topic and I can only assume that a person telling me they don't give a rats ass is not too harsh or people talking about farting, methane gas, or telling me to go breath chlorine gas is not rude ether..
So I can only guess that people like (Lone Frogman who states: I have found and repaired many chlorine leaks. Do not count on seeing a that greenish yellow cloud.) not to off topic right. Or ( Mr.X who so caringly states: Additionally, as per the original poster - who cares if it goes off-topic? 3/4 of the stuff here is most for entertainment value anyway. If you want true congruency look elsewhere) not to rude either. (JimLap, RoatanMan, Cave Diver, fppf, I Dive, Mr.X, HowardE, JKPAO, fire_diver, DaleC, DennisW, rox@ucf11.) These people are the ones that keep engaging in rude, off topic, suggestive wording and should be banned.. But since you see fit to censor me and not them for starting all this ****, and since I do not have 1000s and 1000s of post I can see why I am a small fish and you don’t care about me. So the only choice I have is to not to use your site and to tell everyone I know not to use your site and not to promote your site.

Everyone has stated that there is no flag to signify gas used, let it go. I'm not sure why you keep pushing the question as it has been answered already also your 2nd post was rude IMHO which generated rude responses.

Talk about you basic form of censorship. I guess it’s ok for others to post **** on my thread, but when it comes time for a response I get edited..
As your own statement clearly reads (Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.)
I guess in your world, pictures of girls in bikinis are not off topic and I can only assume that a person telling me they don't give a rats ass is not too harsh or people talking about farting, methane gas, or telling me to go breath chlorine gas is not rude ether..
So I can only guess that people like (Lone Frogman who states: I have found and repaired many chlorine leaks. Do not count on seeing a that greenish yellow cloud.) not to off topic right. Or ( Mr.X who so caringly states: Additionally, as per the original poster - who cares if it goes off-topic? 3/4 of the stuff here is most for entertainment value anyway. If you want true congruency look elsewhere) not to rude either. (JimLap, RoatanMan, Cave Diver, fppf, I Dive, Mr.X, HowardE, JKPAO, fire_diver, DaleC, DennisW, rox@ucf11.) These people are the ones that keep engaging in rude, off topic, suggestive wording and should be banned.. But since you see fit to censor me and not them for starting all this ****, and since I do not have 1000s and 1000s of post I can see why I am a small fish and you don’t care about me. So the only choice I have is to not to use your site and to tell everyone I know not to use your site and not to promote your site.
I think it's your lack of knowledge,tact and/or common sense in these posts that really drew people to criticize you more so than the lack of post count.

Furthermore, you don't sign a name, photo, or any information about yourself, which combined with your odd posts, makes most of us think you're trolling.

Reactions: Jax
You came onto this board trying to tell people that the flag you fly must correlate in some way with the air/mix you are breathing. Some people told you politely that this was absolutely inaccurate and some might have been a bit harsh in their replies. Things got bad when you made the conscious decision to stop listening, ignore those that politely answered you and to simply egg people on. The simple answer WAS delivered to you....you chose to ignore it. Go back and find the posts and ignore those you want, but do not claim that a polite answer was not given.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom