gas and growing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dori fish

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Dr. Deco,
i want to start using doubles with different gases. i am still growing b/c i am 14yrs old. someone said it could affect the way a growing body develops, can you enlighten on how bad using doubles, and certain levels of nitrox are for a teen

While you're waiting on the esteemed doc's reply, maybe I ask how big you are? I was a cattle trucker at 14 (life was different then), but my grandson is smaller and totally different.

i am 6 ft at almost 200lbs

Eesh, that's how big I am and you probably still have a lot of growing to do.

I can't comment on the gas mixes other than to say that NAUI standards wouldn't allow you to take a Nitrox class until you are 15.

As far as the doubles are concerned, unless you've got a very strong back, I'd lean away from a larger set. They're very heavy and you don't want to injure your back too early in life.

if your 200lbs of muscle then there is no reason you cant carry the double tanks even at your age.

If your not, then this could be a problem. The issues related to having a higher percentage of fat in your body is another thread but if you search around I bet you will drag something up.

For real?! :shocked2: Bigun! :thumb: I think I was around 160# at 14, but hey - I got my cattle loaded and unloaded without help. :D Got my drivers license that year, too - even tho I'd been hauling for a couple of years, from nearby counties for my dad.
if your 200lbs of muscle then there is no reason you cant carry the double tanks even at your age.

If your not, then this could be a problem. The issues related to having a higher percentage of fat in your body is another thread but if you search around I bet you will drag something up.
Well, 6'x200# and active in scuba - I don't think he's the Pillsbury Doughboy. The doctor may have some words about his boy & age, but other than Nitrogen loading - I was out working many a man at that age. Other than the physiology of developing bones & tissue, he sounds able enough. Shall we request a photo in speedo? :confused: Let's not...!

Hi Dori Fish:

Developing bones is generally the issue in young divers. Doubles would increase bottom times and the gas loads in the body and increase the importance of this bone-growth issue.

Perhaps not a good idea at this age.:shakehead:

I was 6’3” at 16 which helped get me into some biker bars back then, but that is another story.

At 6’ and 200#, you can handle doubles, but why do you want to? Here is my standard talk on double for new divers, which you are by any measure:

After 30 years of diving, every time I get asked about doubles I ask back "what do you want to do?" Doubles let you do two things that a single can't- stay longer at shallower depths and go deeper. Both of these bring on DECO problems very quickly. If you are not prepared for DECO, then stay with the singles and NDL diving. If you want some extra gas for safety, a small 20/30/40 bottles as a pony or stage work well.

Now what do you do with the extra gas - most divers will use the gas for exploration of some type be it wrecks, caves, reefs, or photos. At this point the diving has become a tool that lets you do that other thing.

For anyone who wants to go further and get into doubles. I always recommend starting with the old standard aluminum 80's or a set of old steel 72’s. Why?

Less cost - for your first set of doubles picking up 2 80's or 72’s used can be done for less then $160 (sometimes much less say $50 each), add a manifold (new 200/used 100) bands (new 65-100/used 50). Total cost 300-350. Or a little over what you might pay for a single steel tank. A new set of tanks, manifold and bands will run at least $750 and can get up to a grand. Also, as you travel around the world you will most likely only find aluminum 80's. So if you plan to travel, get used to using them.

Weight - I think you can figure this part out. Big steels on land suck and for boats, it is not getting off that you worry about (gravity will see to that) it is getting back on. A fully riged set of 120's will be a ***** to control on a marginal day and bucking ladder.

Now go diving - a lot.

Is this what you realy want to do? Do you want to put the time and money into it? Will you get bored in 2 years? The sad fact of it is that many, if not most, of the people who post on this board will drop out of the sport in 3 years or less.

OK, if you made the jump to deep/long diving and need more gas then the 80's or 72’s, Break up the set, the 80's/72’s are now called stage bottles, and get the steel tanks you need to do that thing you want to do. The manifold can be reused and maybe the bands.

Now you have a large set of steel tanks, 2 stages, and most likely a 20-40 foot small bottle. You now have the tanks to jump 200-250+ feet or go a long way back into a cave- if you want to.

Many will question the 80's because of trim but we can work you through that problem quickly, 72’s trim real nice.

Now go diving, - A lot. Play with your rig, adjust the BC/back plate and compensation weights till you get what works for you There is no substitute for experience.

Now lets talk about you, you may be a very mature guy and god knows that age has nothing to do with maturity for some people, but we don’t know you, so you are a young immature kid till proven otherwise. So take it easy and find a diving mentor to guide you through the steps you need to go through to get where you think you want to go.

Last, until your mid to late 20’s you will think you are invulnerable, that is just the way it is. But you are not, sooner or later the aches and pains don’t go away the next morning and hang around for a few days if not longer. If you get big tanks, always lift them smart, use your legs the right way, a slipped disk at 20 is no fun. Been there, done that.

Finally have fun.

Back
Top Bottom