Garrapata Dive, July 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btroxell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So people have expressed interest in the dive sites south of Lobos so here is my trip report from yesterday.
The ocean forecast showed flat seas and little wind so my wife and I decided to try Waterfall Beach in Garrapata, about 4.5 miles south of the Point Lobos entrance (Monterey Dive Infomation- Waterfall Beach site). When we arrived, there were 4 fishermen setting up to haul their kayaks to the beach so they said they would help us with our two kayaks. It’s a moderate walk to the cliff where you lower your boats about 25’ off a steep drop-off. We then hauled all our other equipment down a ‘goat’ path and setup our boats and paddled toward the 2 islands.
There is a pinnacle just east of the island that tops at 40’ and I dropped the anchor there. There was a slight current when we first stopped but when we started our decent, it was noticeable stronger. We stayed on the pinnacle and came up the anchor line. There weren’t many fish on this site, some hydrocoral, but lots of low-lying kelp (sea palm, laminaria…).
For our second dive, we dove the kelp beds off the point just south. There was a slight current through out the dive so we again made sure we came up by the boats. This site was teaming with life, many big schools of fish, hydrocoral, and kelp.
We took our time hauling our equipment back to the car, which was not as bad as I was dreading.
I’m not sure how good of a beach dive this place is. It stays shallow for a while and according to a couple of freedivers I met, there wasn’t many fish. It is a nice place to kayak dive. Bring rope to lower your boats down and watch the currents. I was warned prior to going there and they were correct, there are strong currents in this area. In spite of the extra work in getting to this place, my wife and I will be going back when the conditions are nice again.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom