Garmin Descent T1 transmitter battery life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got done with 30 dives in 3 weeks with my decent mk2. On the last 3 or 4 dives the pressure level reporting started to drop in and out. I ordered a new pack of batteries, I will try again on my next trip in January. I hope it was the battery and not another issue, I really like the computer and AI. I was doing mostly boat dives, sometimes we left the air open on the way out, sometimes not. But I can’t imagine it was pressurized and transmitting for more than 50 hours.

Made a discovery with my computer and transmitter recently...

When new, my transmitter was lasting ~60~70 dives, I guess it is possible that could equate to a ballpark 100 hrs. Lots of our dives are over an hour, plus set up time and possibly times I forgot to close the valve after a dive. Two batteries ago it was WAY shorter, probably ~30 dives, and this last battery lasted 3 weekends/~8 dives! I figured I had a bad batch of batteries- so I bought a new pack.

I changed the battery and my reg set was sitting on a table. The T1 makes a sound after you install the battery, but some long length of time after I changed the battery I swore I heard it make a sound. I checked my computer and found that it was connected and reading between 88-90 psi.

I figure the battery is dying because it looks like the transmitter is reading a low pressure and NEVER goes into the low power or sleepy mode even when pressure is released or when removed completely from the cylinder...

Scuba Pro suggested removing the battery, removing the T1 from my MK2i, reinstalling the battery, and re-connecting to the dive computer- didn't work.

Thought I'd share... maybe other people were actually experiencing this but didn't know it.

Transmitter setting is on medium. I have 35 dives over 6 months and on the original battery that came with it. Average time time is 45 minutes.

Hi all,

I finally received my T1 transmitter a few weeks ago, and I've put ~8 hours on it since then. Last dive, I started getting low-battery warnings on my watch. I see from the Garmin website that it's an easy replacement of a CR123A battery, but I'm not wild about the idea that I'm going to be replacing the battery once a month.

Have any other owners experienced this? I talked to my LDS and they offered to send it back to Garmin, but with the supply chain at the moment and the fact I just got this, I don't really want to part with it if there's nothing 'wrong' with it.
I have had issues too, took it on three dive trips, battery ran out after a dozen or so dives the first time, second time the short connecting hose blew, third time used up one and a half batteries for 20 dives and the o ring in the spigot broke too. I’m glad I have kept my old school spg attached! I take a tonne of rechargeable batteries away for our cameras so wondering if anybody has tried using a Nitecore RCR123A rechargeable battery? I am hesitant as the non rechargeable are 3-3.2V but the Nitecore is 3.7…. i don’t want to completely fry my already dodgy transmitter! :wink: Your thoughts on this are appreciated.

I have had issues too, took it on three dive trips, battery ran out after a dozen or so dives the first time, second time the short connecting hose blew, third time used up one and a half batteries for 20 dives and the o ring in the spigot broke too. I’m glad I have kept my old school spg attached! I take a tonne of rechargeable batteries away for our cameras so wondering if anybody has tried using a Nitecore RCR123A rechargeable battery? I am hesitant as the non rechargeable are 3-3.2V but the Nitecore is 3.7…. i don’t want to completely fry my already dodgy transmitter! :wink: Your thoughts on this are appreciated.
Strange, I have always gotten 9 months to a year per battery (over 100 dives), before I change them preemptively.

Hose and hose o-ring issues are the same for SPG's and transmitters, and have nothing to do with Garmin. It sounds like you are pretty rough on your equipment.

Not rough at all, kit lives in hand luggage for travel and has only been used on dive holidays. Hose and transmitter were both brand new. Tbh I think I just got unlucky with hose and o ring. The rest of my equipment is over 20 years old and still going strong. Looks like transmitter might be faulty given other folks’ feedback of battery life, I’ll talk to my dive shop. Again has anyone used rechargeable batteries in their T1?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom