Garbage disposal...a poll for those of us who have one.

Do you put egg shells down your garbage disposal?

• Yes

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Only when they go down by accident

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are on our own well and septic. We try and not really put anything down the garbage disposal. However it's nice to have when things go down inadvertently. Just be careful that one does not use the garbage disposal like a garbage can! :D

A friends wife used to put EVERYTHING into the drain.... I helped him replace his ruined disposal after a few years of dumping god knows what into the thing. It just stopped functioning.

The garbage disposal contains a couple of hinged "beaters" that mash the food against the side of the housing, which contains notches.

Nothing will sharpen the "blades" because there aren't any. At best you'll do nothing or waste money, at worst you'll round off the edges on the notches, which will cause it to grind poorly.

Terry

I have always used Ice and Lemons and once a month I would use a 1/4 cup of bleach and let the water run for a few minutes. Mine still works after many years with the occasional knife spoon and fork would make it's way down the drain, what a sound that makes when you turn it on.

I don't eat eggs - so I don't put their shells in the disposal.

On the rare occasion I need an egg for something (such as a cake), I will put the shells in the trash.

I was told it was environmentally bad for the ocean to dump garbage in the disposal, and you should just put it in the trash......I have no idea if that is really true.

Back
Top Bottom