Games on liveaboards ( contract bridge, chess, baduk, etc )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only time I've seen the board games and cards come out of hiding on liveaboards has been during bad weather when there wasn't any diving.
Or long crossings, if the weather is good. :wink: Otherwise half the people will be up top toughing it out, and the others can't keep the game or their beer on the table.

Or long crossings, if the weather is good. :wink: Otherwise half the people will be up top toughing it out, and the others can't keep the game or their beer on the table.

During difficult crossings I am always upstairs toughing it out, and playing games is the last thing on my mind!

I'm starting this thread as a gathering point for divers who might want to play certain games during down times on liveaboards. I figure if the American Contract Bridge League can fill a whole cruise ship with bridge players, it ought to be possible to get four on a liveaboard. Or two for chess, or a handful for poker, or whatever.

I'm not looking for the occasional player who knows the rules and who could fill in if asked, but rather the serious player who would look forward to playing. ( Please note, I'm not asking which boats might have certain games available. It is the people that matter. )

Please post your preferences here: at least the game and the location, and maybe your preferred boat, month, etc.
I'm starting this thread as a gathering point for divers who might want to play certain games during down times on liveaboards. I figure if the American Contract Bridge League can fill a whole cruise ship with bridge players, it ought to be possible to get four on a liveaboard. Or two for chess, or a handful for poker, or whatever.

I'm not looking for the occasional player who knows the rules and who could fill in if asked, but rather the serious player who would look forward to playing. ( Please note, I'm not asking which boats might have certain games available. It is the people that matter. )

Please post your preferences here: at least the game and the location, and maybe your preferred boat, month, etc.
Contract bridge ??

Serious == duplicate

Have you ever been on liveaboard. If you will be doing 4-5 dives I day you will forget about any games :) It seems that you are confusing LOB and cruise where pensioners are sitting, drinking and playing various games. During my LOB we had various games in boat but nobody touched them. At least i was reading Fish guide between dives and making notes what sea creatures i have seen during the dives.

I've only been on one liveaboard but that was to Socorro and everyone was there to dive as much as they could. Analyzing tanks and checking gear before a dive, dive briefing, gearing up, boarding the panga in rough seas, diving, reboarding the panga, returning to the boat and removing gear took about 2 hours.....so that's 8 hours for a 4 dive day. Meals took another 2 to 3 hours.

We also had to make sure batteries were charged and minor gear repairs were done. It was also nice to look at a book to identify fish and other critters or to just chat a bit with other divers. I'm not a big conversationalist but when you're with people for a week or so it's nice to get to know them a bit.

That left a bit of downtime in the day to maybe read a few pages in a book or just sit and relax. I might have been able to play a hand of go fish or crib but chess, bridge or serious poker would have been way beyond my mental capabilities at the time.

I’d play Chug-A-Lug........

@KathyV <<upstairs toughing it out>> isn't that at the end of the pendulum? :) I'm trying to find the middle

I forgot to mention staying in your cabin in the Galapagos without being due to injury or illness would be downright sacrilege! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom