Galveston Texas Gulf Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sailor025

Reaction score
Anyone interested? I try to take my boat offshore almost every weekend and want photo dive buddies. Typically a group of us go out in one or two boats. We go about 20 - 60 miles depending on the weather, visibility, etc.

The guys I go out with usually spearfish and I want to take photos.

We share costs--typically $20-50 per person. You have to help clean the boat or the fish!

If you're interested, let me know.

Rodney

What size is your boat? What kind of ladder/exit do you have? How many divers do you put on it?

I have a 24 ft Grady White 240 Offshore. It's a 1983 boat my parents bought new. They hadn't used it for a while so I talked them into letting me put a new 225 Mercury Optimax on it. I also added GPS, depth finder, autopilot, and tabs. I put on two biminis a couple of years ago so almost the entire boat has shade.

The best group is 4 divers. With 4, 2 can go down while two stay on the boat. I've taken 5 and it's still comfortable.

We usually go out of Galveston or Freeport but I want to start exploring the different ports on the Gulf Coast. I'd like to go to Port O'connor, Port Aransas, South Padre, etc.

Unfortunately I don't have a web site so I don't have any photos of it but you can do a search on yachtworld.com and see similar boats.

A friend from Galveston can always go, its filling those other two spaces that sometimes gets difficult. We share all costs with the main one being fuel. I usually get 2 mpg so if we go out 50 miles, we typically will burn 50 gallons of fuel on the full trip.

I'd enjoy you giving me some photo tips.

Rodney

I just have this thing about the Gulf and small boats. Conditions can vary so much and change so fast. I'll talk to Beast ...he knows more about boats than I do.

What do you mean small boat???? Tell beast to come with us one time and you stay home. He can report back to you on the trip and I'll bet you wish you had come!

Gotta go eat dinner

Rodney:)

What you need to do is come down to Galveston, and bring Beast, this weekend if I go down. It looks like the seas will be 5-6 feet so I won't be going out. Although they may drop to 3 feet on Sunday and then I may go. Anyway, if I go down to work on my sailboat then you and beast can come down and I'll take you to see the Grady White. I think you will be much more comfortable a) if you see the boat, b) if you meet me. Not that I'm a great captain but I'm cautious, and we have a lot of fun offshore. I'm even considering taking a little marine grill I have and getting someone to shoot and clean a fish and I'll cook it on the boat. If the seas are really smooth, this could be fun.

Yes, the seas can get up. I've been out in six foot seas on a clear day. It was fine but not that much fun. We turned around and came back. I've also been out in six foot seas and heavy rain. Besides being real cold and wet, it was not that bad. NOAA splits the waves from the swells when it reports, so a 3 foot wave and a 2.7 foot swell basically equals 6 ft from time to time--but you are not constantly pounded by 6 ft waves.

Anyway, if you've never been rig diving, it is quite different than reef diving. The fish are much larger, more prevalent, but not as colorful. Let's put it this way, you will go on a lot more than 2 rig dives a year!

rodney

Oh I've been on plenty of rigs and they are some of my favorite sites. And I do know about diving in the Gulf, I've been doing it for several years. That's why I'm leary of small boats...been there and already done it and have the scars to prove it!

But you're right, we need to come down and meet you and the boat. We're diving in Dallas this weekend but I'll talk to Beast and see when we can do that. It depends on his work schedule, too. Soon as we get a free weekend, I'll let ya know!

Dee once bubbled...
Oh I've been on plenty of rigs and they are some of my favorite sites. And I do know about diving in the Gulf, I've been doing it for several years. That's why I'm leary of small boats...been there and already done it and have the scars to prove it!

But you're right, we need to come down and meet you and the boat. We're diving in Dallas this weekend but I'll talk to Beast and see when we can do that. It depends on his work schedule, too. Soon as we get a free weekend, I'll let ya know!
Hey Dee I have been to the va fogg in a 21 ft boat but the timimg was good so it worked out. But I really wanted to say is you are on the coast I am in DFW you can always put your name on the list and if the weather is right and the seas are small he is offering a pretty good deal. Grady White makes a good boat. Doe's he have a kicker? But if the other boat he talked about goes too that is not a bad deal. Keep in mind the conditions. Plus I would have to drive 5 to6 hours to roll the dice. And yes I realize boat size to sea size and I know what you are talking about.

Domino....Yeah, I can be in Freeport in about 90 minutes.

The last attempt to the VA Fogg was in a 48ft fishing/dive boat. Seas were 1-2's when we left the jetties and by the time we got there it was 4-5's...that's when we turned around. The biggest problem was this boat had no secure tank rack, we had to jerry rig them, and for 6 people only had an old delapidated love seat to sit on. I opted for the big ice chest. At the top of one crest, the boat went in one direction, the cooler went another and I got caught in the middle. The result was a concussion!

That's also the last time I depended on an Instructor to decide if a boat was safe or not, I never would have gotten on it if I knew then what I know now.

Sailor..thanks for the invite and we'll take you up on it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom